[comp.sys.next] in Time, again

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/10/90)

Those dissapointed by the lack of media converage of the big NeXT
unveiling last month should note Time (or one of its clones)
had a little blurb on it last week.

However, it wasn't positive---they accused Steve of hawking vapor,
saying he currently has no 040 CPUs in the pipeline, and that
Improv is months away from completion.

Say it ain't so, Steve!?

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) (10/11/90)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>Those dissapointed by the lack of media converage of the big NeXT
>unveiling last month should note Time (or one of its clones)
>had a little blurb on it last week.
>However, it wasn't positive---they accused Steve of hawking vapor,
>saying he currently has no 040 CPUs in the pipeline, and that
>Improv is months away from completion.
>--
>Barry Merriman

I haven't see the article mentioned, but my sources (who are NeXT PR people,
so you can color that any way you wish) say that NeXT has enough '040s for
their immediate needs.

They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
So NeXT took delivery of the entire batch and can thus release an 040 machine
well ahead of everyone else.

Someone who doesn't know the above, but does know that no 040s are shipping
could make the accusation you mentioned.

I have know knowledge of Improv other than I saw a NeXT rep running it and
was impressed.

If anyone knows more than I do about this, feel free to correct me.

Tim McGuire
mcguire@cs.tamu.edu

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/11/90)

WHAT?!  You mean I'm going to be getting an 040 with a bug?  INTENTIONALLY??
I don't like the sound of this at all.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

Fellow NeXTer madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>WHAT?!  You mean I'm going to be getting an 040 with a bug?  INTENTIONALLY??
>I don't like the sound of this at all.

I've been sitting on this info (rumor???   lie????) for over two weeks now,
waiting to see if someone would bring it up.  No one has, so I decided to
test the waters.   I don't know any more than what I originally stated.
IMHO, a bug in a processor is somewhat disconcerting, but if everyone involved
was aware of what not to do to set it off, when doing low level stuff, then
it might not be so bad.

Can anyone give us more info?  Am I the only one who has heard this?
Were my allergy pills reacting with the pizza I had the night before? ;-)

Tim McGuire
mcguire@cs.tamu.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/11/90)

From article <8969@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire):
> They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
> affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
> opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
> So NeXT took delivery of the entire batch and can thus release an 040 machine
> well ahead of everyone else.

Hmm, maybe Mach itself doesn't use the opcode, but what's to stop *any*
piece of application software from using it - and crashing?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

keithp@xavier.tamu.edu (Keith D Perkins) (10/12/90)

>I haven't see the article mentioned, but my sources (who are NeXT PR people,
>so you can color that any way you wish) say that NeXT has enough '040s for
>their immediate needs.

>They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
>affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
>opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
>So NeXT took delivery of the entire batch and can thus release an 040 machine
>well ahead of everyone else.

I don't think anybody will be getting bad 68040 chips. I hazzard a guess
that NeXT was able to start developing on the 68040 much ealier than
everyone else because they could use the bad chips. As I see it, NeXT
still waited for Motorola to start shipping the chips in volume before
they started shipping their machines, so its likely that the bad chips
were only in the development platforms running at NeXT Corp..

After all that NeXT has done to get these machines on the market, it
would be real doubtful that they would have overlooked something this
basic.

Keith Perkins
Texas A&M University

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (10/12/90)

In article <8978@helios.TAMU.EDU> mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) writes:
>Fellow NeXTer madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:
>>
>>WHAT?!  You mean I'm going to be getting an 040 with a bug?  INTENTIONALLY??
>>I don't like the sound of this at all.
>IMHO, a bug in a processor is somewhat disconcerting, but if everyone involved
>was aware of what not to do to set it off, when doing low level stuff, then
>it might not be so bad.

I hope this is not true. If it were, then presumably at some point
NeXT machines would be coming out without the bug in silicon. At that
point it becomes possible that a programmer who doesn't have the
bug will write some useful software that uses the affected op-code,
and, of course, that software would not function properly on machines
with the bug.

moose@svc.portal.com (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.232037.8263@nntp-server.caltech.edu> madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>WHAT?!  You mean I'm going to be getting an 040 with a bug?  INTENTIONALLY??
>I don't like the sound of this at all.

Having done some work one the '040 machines (not much, but that is soon to
change (I hope :->)), I must tell you that you are getting worked up over
nothing at all.  The machine is fine.  It runs fine.  It runs fast.  It is
fun to use.  It did not crash on me.  It did not break my software.  It is
fine.  It is ok.  Are you getting my point?
--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

peb@Autodesk.COM (Paul Baclaski) (10/12/90)

In article <8969@helios.TAMU.EDU>, mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) writes:
> They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
> affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
> opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
> So NeXT took delivery of the entire batch and can thus release an 040 machine
> well ahead of everyone else.

Hmmm, I would want a free replacement 040 in the future--you never know
when you might be using a compiler that used it...

Paul E. Baclaski
peb@autodesk.com

galanter@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Philip Galanter) (10/12/90)

>>They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
>>affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
>>opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
>>So NeXT took delivery of the entire batch and can thus release an 040 machine
>>well ahead of everyone else.

I have heard this form various NeXT folks as well, but it sure sounds goofy.
So what instruction could possibly be so expendable, by NeXT _and_ any other
developer/development system/compiler?  Maybe some kind of low level thing
that _only_ the OS should be dealing with, like virtual memory paging or
something?  Anybody out there from NeXT have the technical info that would
help the above make sense?

Thanks, Phil

Academic Computing & Network Services ~ AppleLink: A42 ~ ~ 627 Dartmouth Place
~ ~Advanced Technology Group Manager ~ galanter@nwu.edu ~ ~ Evanston, IL 60208
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Northwestern University ~ ~CompuServe: 76474,154 ~ fax: 708-491-4548
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Philip Galanter~ ~ ~ NeXT>gambuh.acns.nwu.edu ~ ph: 708-491-4050

mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) (10/12/90)

In article <332@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> galanter@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Philip Galanter) writes:
>>>They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
>>>affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
>>>opcode.
>
>I have heard this form various NeXT folks as well, but it sure sounds goofy.
>So what instruction could possibly be so expendable, by NeXT _and_ any other
>developer/development system/compiler?  Maybe some kind of low level thing
>that _only_ the OS should be dealing with, like virtual memory paging or
>something?  Anybody out there from NeXT have the technical info that would
>help the above make sense?

I started this panic, so let me see if I can calm it down some.  I still
haven't heard what the problem is exactly, so I may be wrong, but let me
give you the following scenario:

Many moons ago, person X had a machine with a Z80 cpu.  This chip had a
very nice set of opcodes for port i/o.  But X's machine didn't use them,
since it had *memory mapped* i/o.  I assume that the only way the port
opcodes would be necessary is if X changed the cpu over to another
motherboard.  So, it the bug in question only affects hardware that the
NeXT (due to its architecture) will never use, there will be no problem
unless you plan on pulling the cpu chip and putting it in some other machine.

Now, does this sound reasonable?

Tim McGuire
mcguire@cs.tamu.edu

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Dr. Walter C. Daugherity) (10/13/90)

In article <3258@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <8969@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire):
>> They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
>> affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
>> opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
>> So NeXT took delivery of the entire batch and can thus release an 040 machine
>> well ahead of everyone else.
>
>Hmm, maybe Mach itself doesn't use the opcode, but what's to stop *any*
>piece of application software from using it - and crashing?
>--
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu
>
>                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

The main reason software developers won't use any buggy 68040 instructions
which aren't on the 68030 is that they will want as large a market as
possible.  Thus they should use 68030 instructions only so they can sell
their wares to run on old or new NeXT's.  (Listen up, you budding software
entrepreneurs :-).)

Nevertheless, IMHO NeXT is most likely to wait and ship clean 68040's.
They really don't need to give their critics any ammunition, however
irrelevant (see above).

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/13/90)

In article <3258@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <8969@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire):
>> They tell me that the first large batch of 68040s had a bug which did not
>> affect any of the NeXT software because mach does not use the affected
>> opcode.  This bug does sink most of the other companies who would use the 40.
>Hmm, maybe Mach itself doesn't use the opcode, but what's to stop *any*
>piece of application software from using it - and crashing?

There are two modes the processor can be running in: one is the
supervisor mode and the other is the user mode. Applications can only
use user mode instructions. Only the kernel is allowed to use the
priviledged instructions. So if the bug is in the supervisor mode
instruction set and MACH doesn't use it and you don't plan to
implement your own operating system on top of NeXT's hardware, there
shouldn't be any problem at all.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

In article <1990Oct11.173420.2020@svc.portal.com> moose@svc.portal.com writes:
>... The machine is fine.  It runs fine.  It runs fast.  It is
>fun to use.  It did not crash on me.  It did not break my software.  It is
>fine.  It is ok.  Are you getting my point?

What's your point?  That you've tested it and it works fine?  That's what
every software/hardware developer says, and most of them are telling the
truth, despite all the bugs that show up later.  All you're telling us is
that the thing will work when used *exactly* the way you used it.  That
is some assurance that the thing is not totally broken, but most companies
wouldn't ship totally-broken systems anyway.  (There are exceptions.)  It
doesn't tell us anything about problems lurking in obscure corners.

Realistically, folks, the odds are good that there is at least one bug in
the 68040 that *nobody* knows about yet.  You simply can't buy a machine
built with a leading-edge part like that without some risk of hardware bugs.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (10/16/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Realistically, folks, the odds are good that there is at least one bug in
>the 68040 that *nobody* knows about yet.  You simply can't buy a machine
>built with a leading-edge part like that without some risk of hardware bugs.

	Ah, but the same thing could be said about the Intel 486, the latest
Sparc or MIPS set, the IBM RS set, etc. (I assume Henry wasn't speaking only
about the latest Moto.)