[comp.sys.next] background screen loader

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/12/90)

     Is there a way to change the background picture from the Unix shell,
e.g. without being on console?  It would be nice to have a timed background
changer without going into windowed Scene.  Is there such a utility?  Thanks
a lot for any advice.
							Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield				   ken-b@uiuc.edu
Junior, Computer Science/Engineering.

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (10/12/90)

In article <18600009@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>     Is there a way to change the background picture from the Unix shell,
>e.g. without being on console?  It would be nice to have a timed background
>changer without going into windowed Scene.  Is there such a utility?  Thanks
>a lot for any advice.

   There's a shell script that does this, named "background" (appropriately
enough), on the archives. Probably in the binaries directory.

--
 wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington
     (William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/13/90)

In article <9044@milton.u.washington.edu> wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) writes:
>In article <18600009@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>     Is there a way to change the background picture from the Unix shell,
>>e.g. without being on console?  It would be nice to have a timed background
>   There's a shell script that does this, named "background" (appropriately
>enough), on the archives. Probably in the binaries directory.

background does not quite the right thing. If you move your menu off
the screen with a correct default setting and rely on the right mouse
button to pop up the menues, it won't work if the mouse cursor is
above the new background. This problem does not occur with Scene.app
Thus the two do not do the same thing unfortunately.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/90)

     Is there a way to change the background WITHOUT a running WindowServer?
For example, if the NeXT is displaying the login window, the WindowServer
isn't running.  So, if the NeXT doesn't have someone logged in, I can't
change the background.  I'd like to have a timed, ~daily change of the
background without assuming that the WindowServer is active.
     Any possibility?  Thanks a lot for your replies!

keith@panews (10/16/90)

In article <18600014@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     Is there a way to change the background WITHOUT a running WindowServer?
>For example, if the NeXT is displaying the login window, the WindowServer
>isn't running.  So, if the NeXT doesn't have someone logged in, I can't
>change the background.  I'd like to have a timed, ~daily change of the
>background without assuming that the WindowServer is active.
>     Any possibility?  Thanks a lot for your replies!

Don't you mean the Workspace, not the WindowServer?  The WindowServer
MUST be running if the loginwindow is up.  Once the userid/passwd is
accepted in the loginwindow, the Workspace then comes up.

What you need to do is write a small PostScript program that inserts
a window with your picture above the root window.  I don't know exactly
how, but someone around here used to do it.

BTW: Running scene with -NXHost doesn't work.  It puts the picture on
the machine that it's window appears on.

Another useless comment from:
Keith Mason
...!ibmsupt!keith
(415) 855-3920