[comp.sys.next] Sendmail and Trailblazers on NeXTs

wilber@aludra.usc.edu (John Wilber) (09/25/90)

I am trying to get a NeXT connected to the outside world, but I am
having no end of trouble with getting things straight in dialing my
Trailblazer+.  Can anyone offer any help in this regard?  Some real
working examples of L.sys, L-devices, remote, etc. would be most helpful.
The immediate problems I have are getting the trailblazer to operate at
high speed (I can only get it to work at 2400bps), and uucico seems to
not wait long enough for the answering system to respond before giving up.

The other little problem I am having is that there seems to be somehting
wrong somewhere with my sendmail.cf (or maybe something else) that makes
the machine think the name of the machine is XXX.XXX.YYY rather than just
XXX.YYY.

Any help you can send would be most appreciated.

hsong@nvuxl.UUCP (l j tomlinson) (10/02/90)

Hi,

I am curious.   Why do they use only Trailblzers for NeXTs?   There are
bunch of 9600 baud modems in the market.   Is it because somebody have
successfully attached Trailblzer to his NeXT?   What is so special about
Trailblzers?   Can anyone list the specifications of Trailblazers?

The most industry-standard 9600 baud modems are CCITT V.32, V.42bis, MNP/4
error-correcting, MNP/5 compressing "data" (not "fax") modems.
Is Traiblazer+ one of them?

Please email me at  "nvuxl!hsong@bellcore.bellcore.com".   You need to put
"\" in front of "!" on the Cshell command line to suppress the special
character interpretation.

	-hsong-

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/09/90)

In article <662@nvuxl.UUCP>, hsong@nvuxl.UUCP (l j tomlinson) writes:
|> I am curious.   Why do they use only Trailblzers for NeXTs?   There are
|> The most industry-standard 9600 baud modems are CCITT V.32, V.42bis, MNP/4
|> error-correcting, MNP/5 compressing "data" (not "fax") modems.

I use succesfully a Digicom modem. It does all you mentioned and does it
very well. There is soon to be out a version that does Fax as well. As soon
as NeXT cares to get the new OS out to us, we will make the modifications
such that these modems Fax capabilities are available to the NeXT.

-- Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

In article <BOB.90Oct15151159@volitans.MorningStar.Com>
	bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>Other standards specifications have appeared in the intervening years,
>such as you describe (e.g. the CCITT V.* series), and lots of folks
>use modems that implement them in preference over Telebit's
>proprietary modulation system.  Perhaps you've just heard more people
>with NeXTs talk about how happy they are with their Trailblazers.

PEP (Telebit's proprietary modulation/error correction system)
succeeds because it's technically superior to the V.* protocols.
Realizing that half the population has IQs <100, I bought a
Telebit 2500, so I have PEP _and_ V.32+V.42bis.  With ISDN and
SMDS on the horizon, this will probably be The Last Modem I
Ever Buy.

I suppose I could wait for V.32bis, but I just don't see that
much future in "conventional" modems.

					-=EPS=-