[comp.sys.next] Color Printer & Scanner

pm2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul T. Moran) (09/29/90)

I heard from a local Businessland salesman that Next
planned to come out with a color laser printer and a
color scanner to go with it.

This was about a year ago and I have not heard
anyone mention anything like this.

Where the rumors true or was he just dreaming?

Paul...

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (09/29/90)

In article <0b10Fya00awA8CUkpA@andrew.cmu.edu> pm2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul T. Moran) writes:
>I heard from a local Businessland salesman that Next
>planned to come out with a color laser printer and a
>color scanner to go with it.
>
>Where the rumors true or was he just dreaming?

Well, not NeXT---but third party for NeXT are available. See the
Fall 1990 catalog.

Lessee...we got:

OceColor color PostScript laser printer (pg 72) from Oce Graphics
(1-800-545-5445, CA), 300 dpi resolution using wax-based ink technology.
Has 5MB RAM internal. Networkable. $8990, List. Availability: Now
(Platinum; but you'll want to wait til Q1 91 for the black model :-)

Scan-X Color hi-res scanner from HSD, Inc (415-964-1400, CA).
Scans BW line drawings and 24 bit color. Scans at 2400 dpi for lines,
and 400dpi for color and greyscale. Supports TIFF and EPS formats,
and the NeXT pasteboard allowing cut, copy, paste. Academic pricing
available. Avail: Q4 90 (for the black model :-)
(Same Co. has a greyscale scanner of similar capabilities for $2195, List,
Avail: Now.)

Is that enough?

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) (10/16/90)

Paul T. Moran writes:
>I heard from a local Businessland salesman that Next
>planned to come out with a color laser printer and a
>color scanner to go with it.

The NeXT guys I've talked with have all said they are still eyeing this,
but there is no color printer so clearly superior (and cheap) that they want
to slap their name on the side of it.

-william shipley

tim@ggumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay) (10/17/90)

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) writes:
>The NeXT guys I've talked with have all said they are still eyeing this,
>but there is no color printer so clearly superior (and cheap) that they want
>to slap their name on the side of it.

There is a color scanner in the right price range, though.  Epson is
now advertising a 8.5"x11" 24-bit/pixel, one-pass scanner for $2000.

Tim