[comp.sys.next] Software prices

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (09/20/90)

Could someone please explain me how people come up with these prices
in the new product catalogue (fall 1990) -- am I missing that these
programmers are geniuses or is NeXT-software-pricing based on the
Nikkei index?

$40,000 plus run-time license:PaperSight Developer's Toolkit (objects
	for the interface builder) -- their other products are
	overpriced, too.
$25,000 NeuExpert (expert systems and neural networks)
$12,000 Flexible License Manager
$995	Displaytalk (the extension to YAP)
$395	TranScriber 1.0 (wait a minute - you can even rewind your
	sound! How many hours did it take to write this? Oh yes, this
	is medical software)
$2,500	MediaStation 1.2 (fine program, but was it so difficult to
	write? or is it that special?)
$15,200	MundoCart/Optical (wow -- a zoomable world-map!!! the data set
	was developed years ago)
$4595	XWave Version 1.0 (connects NeXTs to PCs using NFS and TCP/IP
	-- big deal)
$10,000 starting price: Worldtalk/400 (makes NeXT-mail compatible with
	X400)
$7,000	starting price: AFS 3.0 (I thought you could get this for free
	at CMU? Is the design of the interface that expensive?)

I did not even mention many painfully high (i.e. workstation-oriented)
prices (e.g. Objective DB Toolkit) that are good programs, but too
high for my taste.
On the other hand, some applications for <$100 were taken out of the
catalogue.
How can one attrack the masses with this kind of pricing?

Why can't all applications be more like FrameMaker -- complex
applications, with reasonable academic and acceptable commercial
prices (for what they offer)?

Axel

-- Axel Merk	                "One needs a certain amount of blindness  --
-- agm@cs.brown.edu              to see perfection" - Christopher Nuzum   --
-- phone/fax (401)272 2262 Brown University  Box 53  Providence  RI 02912 --

haugelan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Haugeland) (10/18/90)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

>Adobe Illustrator will sell at exactly the same retail price as on the
>Macintosh.  Lotus Improv is about $595 (from memory).  WordPerfect is
>$495.  FrameMaker is $995.  TouchType, our product, is $249.
>LightHouse's Diagram! is $249.  Stone Design's TextArt is $375.
>
>There is plenty of affordable software, and most of the software is
>being priced at "PC" prices, not at workstation prices.  There is
>plenty of very expensive software on the Macintosh, too.

I'm not convinced that this answers the charge that NeXT software will
be more expensive than for other platforms. After all, nobody in his
or her right mind would pay list for Adobe Illustrator, Lotus 123, or
Word Perfect; mail order prices are 50% to 60% of "retail". But if
NeXT software is not carried by such competitive vendors, we may
actually have to pay list price--in effect, almost double the real
prices for other machines.

Does anybody know anything about this, or have any ideas?

John Haugeland
haugelan@unix.cis.pitt.edu