[comp.sys.next] NeXT Software Availability

ktl@wag240.wag.caltech.edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (10/17/90)

	We are seriously considering NeXTstations for two purposes in
our research group: secretarial tasks involving text processing,
E-mail, appointment management, and simple database functions (address
book, etc.); and as scientific document processing workstations with
the ability to handle equation formatting, data analysis, graphing (2D
and 3D, contours, surfaces, etc.), symbolic algebra, bibliographies,
and standard Unix shell tasks.  Most of these tasks seem to be handled
well by the bundled software, for which I applaud NeXT.

	I perceive three areas in which the software I have seen or
heard about for the NeXT is weak or nonexistent.  If you know of a
suitable product in these areas, for a reasonable educational price
(<$300), I would appreciate hearing about it.

1)	Simple database.  As I understand it, Sybase is no longer
bundled with the system.  Even if it were, a front-end would most
likely be necessary to simplify it for novices.  Corrections?

2)	Equation formatting.  TeX seems to be the only option here.
I'm looking for an equivalent to Expressionist on the Macintosh.
Could a point-and-click front-end be built onto TeX?

3)	Data analysis and graphing.  Mathematica is not adequate, as
its user interface can be daunting, it is not clear that large data
sets can be handled easily, and there appear to be few provisions for
annotating graphs.  We are looking for something like KaleidaGraph or
DeltaGraph on the Macintosh.  Import of columns of numbers in
widely-varying formats is a necessity, as is the ability to easily
change all plotting parameters.  NeXT on Campus mentions a product
named DAN -- any reviews?

	Even though the NeXTstation may be far superior in
price/performance to, say, a Mac IIsi, the lack of software at this
time makes it a risky choice.  This was also true of the Macintosh in
1984 (when I bought my since-upgraded 128K), but at that time the
perceived software needs were much fewer -- we expect more out of our
computers now.
--
Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wag.caltech.edu, KTL @ CITCHEM.BITNET, GEnie: K.LIM1)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.113743.890@nntp-server.caltech.edu> ktl@wag240.wag.caltech.edu (Kian-Tat Lim) writes:
>	I perceive three areas in which the software I have seen or
>heard about for the NeXT is weak or nonexistent.  If you know of a
>suitable product in these areas, for a reasonable educational price
>(<$300), I would appreciate hearing about it.
>
>1)	Simple database.

There is a wonderful product called DataPhile in the new software catalog
from Stone Design.  It's relatively inexpensive and looks like exactly
the right thing for simple database management.

>2)	Equation formatting.  TeX seems to be the only option here.
>I'm looking for an equivalent to Expressionist on the Macintosh.
>Could a point-and-click front-end be built onto TeX?

FrameMaker does some equation formatting.  I haven't used it much, but
it looks fairly complete.  FrameMaker isn't inexpensive, but it's
valuable.

>3)	Data analysis and graphing.

I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but maybe the graphing/charting
features in the spreadsheets can be used to advantage.

>	Even though the NeXTstation may be far superior in
>price/performance to, say, a Mac IIsi, the lack of software at this
>time makes it a risky choice.  This was also true of the Macintosh in
>1984 (when I bought my since-upgraded 128K), but at that time the
>perceived software needs were much fewer -- we expect more out of our
>computers now.

And there's a lot more there.  Already there is a good assortment of
high-quality software, and it's growing fast.  It is already a very
sophisticated platform for publishing and now data analysis, and although
there aren't so many special-purpose tools yet (like MacInTax, for
example), they can be developed fairly quickly, and I think they will be.

But then again, I'm a bit biased in favor of NeXT computers :-)

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers