[comp.sys.next] Making NeXT mail compatible...

btbg1194@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Bradley T Banko) (10/15/90)

Is there an easy way to make NeXT mail
compatible with the 80-column world?
I knew that there was something that I didn't
like about a machine proportionally spacing my
text as I type it... the lines run over on
fixed spacing displays making them annoying
to read.
Is there a simple fix?  Can you set your mail
to not use proportional spacing for text display?
Etc.
Thanks!
(Please spare me lectures about the glory and
easy readability of proportionally-spaced text.)

--
Bradley T. Banko
Dept of Physics, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.165251.27787@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> btbg1194@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Bradley T Banko) writes:
>Is there an easy way to make NeXT mail
>compatible with the 80-column world?
>Is there a simple fix?  Can you set your mail
>to not use proportional spacing for text display?

Easy fix: punt on NeXT Mail and use MailManager (or EasyMail),
available from via anonymous FTP from FTPHOST.CAC.WASHINGTON.EDU
(128.95.112.1) on the "imap" directory.

MailManager (not to be confused with the NeXT program of the same
name) is an electronic mail user interface supporting local mailboxes
in /usr/spool/mail and mail.txt (MM) format as well as remote
mailboxes using the IMAP2 protocol of RFC-1176.  MailManager supports
an address book, a sophisticated mailbox search, and sophisticated
message management.  EasyMail is a simpler albeit compatible version
intended for novices or first-time e-mail users.

Unlike NeXT Mail, MailManager is designed with function and the
ability to scale to large mailboxes (thousands of messages) as opposed
to "cute" in mind.

The current release is the July 1990 version.  A new version will be
released later this year supporting file attachments using RFC-1154
message encoding.

 _____   | ____ ___|___   /__ Mark ("Gaijin") Crispin  "Gaijin! Gaijin!"
 _|_|_  -|- ||   __|__   /  / R90/6 pilot, DoD #0105   "Gaijin ha doko?"
|_|_|_|  |\-++-  |===|  /  /  Atheist & Proud          "Niichan ha gaijin."
 --|--  /| ||||  |___|    /\  (206) 842-2385/543-5762  "Chigau.  Gaijin ja nai.
  /|\    | |/\| _______  /  \ MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU    Omae ha gaijin darou"
 / | \   | |__|  /   \  /    \"Iie, boku ha nihonjin." "Souka. Yappari gaijin!"
Hee, dakedo UNIX nanka wo tsukatte, umaku ikanaku temo shiranai yo.

In article <9312@milton.u.washington.edu>
	mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) writes:
>MailManager (not to be confused with the NeXT program of the same
>name)

Well, the Workspace Manager sure got confused--it displayed the
same icon for both (i.e. got one wrong).  I wonder if this is
fixed in 2.0???
					-=EPS=-

2211ab@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (2211ab) (10/16/90)

I think there is some provision for this in 2.0.  I don't know
for sure, because I don't have a machine, but during the
demo our NeXT rep made a point of the fact that mail
now works better.

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/18/90)

NeXTmail in the 2.0 release provides means for sending non-NeXT mail.
In the mean time you could also set courier or ohlfs as your standart
font for mail => no proportional spacing.
-- Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

briand@rfengr.com (Brian Dear) (10/18/90)

While we're talking about NeXTmail -- I'm interested in reciving
NeXTmail from anyone out there for the purposes of making our
software compatible with it.  I'm particularly interested in the
header format of the mail.  We don't have our NeXT machine(s)
yet, but want to get started on studying how we're going to port
our software over to the NeXT.  We want it to support NeXTmail
so we need to understand what the headers look like.  So, for anyone
who might have a moment, can you send me some NeXTmail via UUCP
or Internet to:

            internet: coconet!brian@ucsd.edu

                UUCP: ucsd!coconet!brian

Thanks in advance!