[comp.sys.next] that darn ethernet question again...

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/16/90)

Here is cheapest kosher way that I know of to connect the NeXT to a thick
net, straight from the horse's mouth ...

-- Cabletron sells a MR-2000C Singleport Repeater for $695 that does
-- exactly what you need.  The local number I have for them is
-- (408) 441-9900.
--
-- Brent Loschen
-- NeXT Systems Engineer

There are other non-kosher possibilities, such as splicing a thin coax
into a thick coax directly (major reflection problems likely there), or
yanking the transceiver chip in the NeXT and using the signal pairs that
come into that chip to connect to a think-net transceiver.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

croehrig@audiolab.UWaterloo.ca (Chris J. Roehrig) (10/17/90)

A cheap way to connect to thick ethernet is through a gateway. This isn't
as expensive as it sounds.  We have an old door-stop PC XT clone with
two Western Digital cards (WD8003E Ethercard Plus, $250 CDN each; you should
be able to get them for under $200 (US$)) running Vance Morrison's PCRoute
(available via ftp from accuvax.nwu.edu in pub/pcroute).

One ethercard runs thin-wire to your NeXT (and any other machines you have;
the thin-wire is your own subnet). The other card is connected directly to
the thickwire tranceiver drop (NOT directly to the thick-wire itself); you
need a tranceiver and a drop cable. If you already have those, fine; if not
they cost about $300; your network hardware guy will be happy to
install one for you and bill it to your grant).
You'll need Internet ID's for the NeXT, both ethernet ports on the PC,
and a subnet address.

The speed of the gateway is extensively documented in the docs for
PCRoute. For an 4.77MHz XT, the throughput is 1.8 Mbit/sec; for a 16MHz
AT, it's 4.1 Mbit/sec. Unless you are regularly doing some serious data
transfer, you won't notice any lack of speed with the 4.77 MHz clunker.

So if you have a thick-wire drop and a PC lying around (we got ours free
from CS labs who are unloading truckloads of them), the total cost is
$400-$500 and you have your own thinwire subnet. (And as an extra bonus,
you don't have your network administrator screaming at you for mucking
about on his net :-) )

We also have a bunch of PC's (with Ethercards) connected to the
subnet running NCSA's Telnet (ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu) each of which
provides a really slick multi-session terminal into our NeXT.

Chris Roehrig
Audio Research Group
University of Waterloo, Canada

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct17.060749.25879@watserv1.waterloo.edu> croehrig@audiolab.UWaterloo.ca (Chris J. Roehrig) writes:
>A cheap way to connect to thick ethernet is through a gateway. This isn't
>as expensive as it sounds.  We have an old door-stop PC XT clone with
>two Western Digital cards (WD8003E Ethercard Plus, $250 CDN each; you should
>be able to get them for under $200 (US$)) running Vance Morrison's PCRoute
>(available via ftp from accuvax.nwu.edu in pub/pcroute).

[stuff deleted]

>So if you have a thick-wire drop and a PC lying around (we got ours free
>from CS labs who are unloading truckloads of them), the total cost is
>$400-$500 and you have your own thinwire subnet. (And as an extra bonus,
>you don't have your network administrator screaming at you for mucking
>about on his net :-) )

Let me add a few points.

If you want to put NeXTs onto the same subnet as the thick-net portion,
you can use the
same hardware as described above, and run "PCbridge" by Vance Morrison.
This is a companion to "PCRoute" and is available from the same host
by anonymous FTP (see above).

If there are a Thicknet drop (blue cable with DB15 connector) already
in the room and a free PC, you can connect MULTIPLE NeXTs to the
network essentially for the cost of a single-port repeater (maybe less).

The doc for PCbridge says that it does packet filtering too so that
the local traffic on Thin-net and Thick-net won't be forwarded
across the bridge.

We've been running this bridge setup for over 6 months using a 4.7MHz
PC with no monitor.  I am very happy with it's performance and
reliability.  I haven't touched this box for months.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/18/90)

*****************

Also, as far as the new NeXTs are concerned, there is no problem with thick-net
Ethernet at all, since it provides either thin or thick ethernet, although I
understand that only one of the can function at any one time. All the solutions
described are about how to hook up a 030 cube, not 040 cubes...

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (10/18/90)

    Also, as far as the new NeXTs are concerned, there is no problem with
    thick-net Ethernet at all, since it provides either thin or thick
    ethernet, although I understand that only one of the can function at
    any one time. All the solutions described are about how to hook up a
    030 cube, not 040 cubes...

no such luck.  040 nexts have thin net & twisted-pair (10baseT), but
still no thick net.
--

                                             .mike.