[comp.sys.next] NeXT Station & 105Mb Drive

GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (10/09/90)

If I get a NeXT Station w/ the 105Mb Drive how much space will
be left after I load the O/S, Lotus Improv, Mathematica, C, C++, and
NeXTSTEP??  I figure I'll be lucky to have any space left at all!!

Tyler

PS: Where can I subscribe to NeXT World Magazine??

herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) (10/09/90)

GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) writes:

>If I get a NeXT Station w/ the 105Mb Drive how much space will
>be left after I load the O/S, Lotus Improv, Mathematica, C, C++, and
>NeXTSTEP??  I figure I'll be lucky to have any space left at all!!

>Tyler

>PS: Where can I subscribe to NeXT World Magazine??

    One of the people at the NeXT help line informed me that the "base"
    software release takes approximately 85 Mbytes, and the extended release
    adds approximately 40 Mbytes.  Now this is in conflict with what other
    people on the net have been saying.  I had heard from the net that the
    complete release is 240 Mbytes ( which BTW I don't believe because the
    guy I talked to at NeXT seemed quite sure of the numbers ).  I don't know
    if Lotus Improv was included as part of the 40Mb of the extended release
    or not.

    Hope this is helpful.

								- Max

William R. Herndon
Secure Computing Technology Corp.                  The opinions expressed are
                                                   mine, ALL MINE!  HEH, HEH,
herndon@sctc.com				   HEH, HEH!!!
(612) 482-7431

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/09/90)

Only 125MB for the complete extended release?!  That's interesting.  If
true, then there must be some serious compression going on.  I don't
think they could have reduced it that much from rel 1.0 just by deletion
and making executables smaller.  I'm going to call NeXT and get the scoop
on this ...

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (10/10/90)

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:
> Only 125MB for the complete extended release?!  That's interesting.
> If true, then there must be some serious compression going on.

I just called NeXT (1-800-848-NeXT), and asked them how much disk
space was left over after everything was installed on the 340 meg
version of the NeXTstation mono.  They said that 64 meg was left.
This makes it in the neighborhood of 275 meg total.  With the 105 meg
drive, I'll need a minimum of 170 more to run at all (two Maxtor
XT-1085s should almost do the trick -- I can trim a little).

They were very friendly too.
Me>  "Hello, I'm at a university and I just ordered a NeXT machine."
Her> "Oh, congradulations!"
And I got the answer in under a minute -- the person answering the
phone had it at her fingertips.
--
Doug DeJulio
dd26@andrew.cmu.edu

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (10/15/90)

I also have an educational price list in front of me.  Remember this is
for San Jose State and is for comparison only.

----Mono Systems 8meg of memory------------------------------------------
NeXTstation standard  $3333.00            (105Mb)
NeXTstation high-capacity  $5167.00       (340Mb)
NeXTstation standard w/printer $4666.00   (105Mb)

NeXTcube standard   $5905.00
NeXTcube high-capacity   $8490.00
NeXTcube high-capacity w/printer  $9823.00

----Color Systems -------------------------------------------------------
NeXTstation color  $5870.00                     (105Mb,  12meg)
NeXTstation color high-capacity  $8075.00       (340Mb,  16meg)
NeXTstation high-capacity w/printer $9408.00    (340Mb,  16meg)

NeXTdiminsion standard   $10425.00              (105Mb)
NeXTdiminsion high-capacity  $13010.00          (340Mb,  16meg)

----Upgrades ------------------------------------------------------------
NeXTdiminsion upgrade for NeXTcube            $995.00
NeXT laser printer                            $1333.00
Software Release 2.0 on Optical Disk          $195.00
Software Release 2.0 w/105 Mbyte drive        $800.00
NeXT Toner Cartridge                          $99

That is the complete price list that I have.  BTW the optical disks have
gone up because NeXT is no longer subsidising them so it's going to be
something like $100.00/disk rather tha ~$50.00.

                            Kent

/*************************************************************/
/*                                                           */
/*  The war on drugs is a joke!!!  Why is it that you can't  */
/*  get a Cuban cigar in the U.S. and you can buy a ROCK of  */
/*  COCAINE in any city if you look?  Also, how come they    */
/*  never seize any ships bringing the stuff into the        */
/*  country?   Interesting questions?  I say somebody is     */
/*  getting paid! (No flames please, just food for thought.) */
/*                                                           */
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (10/17/90)

In article <d0zh02Xd02nM01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>I also have an educational price list in front of me.  Remember this is
>for San Jose State and is for comparison only.
>
>NeXTcube standard   $5905.00
>NeXTcube high-capacity   $8490.00
[...]
>NeXTdiminsion standard   $10425.00              (105Mb)
>NeXTdiminsion high-capacity  $13010.00          (340Mb,  16meg)
[...]
>NeXTdiminsion upgrade for NeXTcube            $995.00

First thing I noticed about this post was:
1.	The price of the NeXTcube dropped.  Is this true?  I thought
	eduational institutions can sell it for $7995.
2.	The numbers don't add up for NeXTdimension.
	NeXTcube standard + NeXTdimension upgrade = $6900!!
	NeXTcube high-cap + NeXTdimension upgrade = $9485!

I say we have a pretty good bargain here--or am I missing
something obvious?  The info did not say whether the NeXTcube
high-cap had 8 or 16 MB of RAM...although SIMM prices are not
a major problem these days (~$45 for 1 Megabit X 8 chips @
70ns is a very good buy).

Ken

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (10/17/90)

In <1990Oct17.073123.26043@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:

>>NeXTcube standard   $5905.00
>>NeXTcube high-capacity   $8490.00

>>NeXTdiminsion standard   $10425.00              (105Mb)
>>NeXTdiminsion high-capacity  $13010.00          (340Mb,  16meg)

>>NeXTdiminsion upgrade for NeXTcube            $995.00

>First thing I noticed about this post was:
>1.	The price of the NeXTcube dropped.  Is this true?  I thought
>	eduational institutions can sell it for $7995.

$7995 is RETAIL price for a min config Cube.

>2.	The numbers don't add up for NeXTdimension.
>	NeXTcube standard + NeXTdimension upgrade = $6900!!

No, you are not adding them correctly.  A NeXTdimension setup includes
a $2995 color monitor.  NeXTdimension upgrade is just the board.  That
doesn't look right tho, the $995 price.  That looks like the 040
upgrade price.  The NeXTdimension board is listed at ALONE $3995
retail in my Fall 90 price list.

>	NeXTcube high-cap + NeXTdimension upgrade = $9485!

Wrong again.  You might get a min-cap NeXTdimension cube for under
$10,000, but not a higher capacity one.

>I say we have a pretty good bargain here--or am I missing
>something obvious?  The info did not say whether the NeXTcube
>high-cap had 8 or 16 MB of RAM...although SIMM prices are not
>a major problem these days (~$45 for 1 Megabit X 8 chips @
>70ns is a very good buy).

Well, what I remember from the price lists, if you went with the 340MB
drive OR the 16MB ram, the price increase was the same or close.  And
yes, we do get a great bargain with the NeXT.  Tis why I'm calling my
NeXT guy today and getting my Cube order in!

-k

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (10/18/90)

In article <d0zh02Xd02nM01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent
L Shephard) says:

>[...stuff deleted...]
>
>That is the complete price list that I have.  BTW the optical disks have
>gone up because NeXT is no longer subsidising them so it's going to be
>something like $100.00/disk rather tha ~$50.00.

Make that $149.00/disk! NeXT IS NOT offering educational discounts
on optical disks. And I thought $50.00/disk was a lot of money...

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''