[net.auto] Octane mixes...

clay@drutx.UUCP (Clay Lambert) (09/21/85)

  I have heard that mixing gasolines with different octane ratings
has a funny effect on the rating of the mix.  For example, mixing
1 gallon of 85 octane gas with 1 gallon of 87 octane gas yields
2 gallons of gas with an octane rating *greater than* 87.  Is this
true, or is someone taking advantage of my lack of knowledge on
the subject?

  Also, I'm told there are two main methods used to determine
octane ratings.  Does anyone know what those might be?

	Clay Lambert
	...!ihnp4!drutx!clay

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (09/24/85)

In article <556@drutx.UUCP>, clay@drutx.UUCP (Clay Lambert) writes:
>   I have heard that mixing gasolines with different octane ratings
> has a funny effect on the rating of the mix.  For example, mixing
> 1 gallon of 85 octane gas with 1 gallon of 87 octane gas yields
> 2 gallons of gas with an octane rating *greater than* 87.  Is this
> true, or is someone taking advantage of my lack of knowledge on
> the subject?

No, it's true. Mixing about 1 part regular leaded @ 88-89 octane
with 2 parts super unleaded @ 91-92 octane will give you gasoline
that is about 94-95 octane. Beware....it is leaded gas. I don't
know the chemistry, but it works on a high compression turbo
charged motor I drive which is in full European trim. Super
unleaded causes knocking, my mixture does not.

>   Also, I'm told there are two main methods used to determine
> octane ratings.  Does anyone know what those might be?

Yeah there are two. One is a so-called Research Method. I don't
remember what the other is called. They differ from each other by
about 4. What you see at the pump is the average.

--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like a man who likes to talk."

les@vaxwaller.UUCP (Les Dittert) (09/28/85)

> In article <556@drutx.UUCP>, clay@drutx.UUCP (Clay Lambert) writes:
> >   I have heard that mixing gasolines with different octane ratings
> > has a funny effect on the rating of the mix.  For example, mixing
> > 1 gallon of 85 octane gas with 1 gallon of 87 octane gas yields
> > 2 gallons of gas with an octane rating *greater than* 87.  Is this
> > true, or is someone taking advantage of my lack of knowledge on
> > the subject?
>
> No, it's true. Mixing about 1 part regular leaded @ 88-89 octane
> with 2 parts super unleaded @ 91-92 octane will give you gasoline
> that is about 94-95 octane. Beware....it is leaded gas. I don't

OK , if it is true , then why don't the oil companies mix the same
potion and sell it to the public as leaded super ??? They try like
hell to please the customer , and I know they could sell a lot
of this 95 octane gas. The chemists that work for Chevron must be
STUPID , if they have the ingredients for this high octane
gas sitting in their own pumps......

   ( in other words , it don't work. )

   Les Dittert , Varian Instruments , California.

mrl@drutx.UUCP (LongoMR) (10/02/85)

I read somewhere recently that the mixing of leaded and
unleaded gasoline did, in fact, yield a higher octane
rating at some point in the past. The article went on to say that
certain additives that caused this are no longer being blended
into gasoline, therefore mixing gasolines no longer works.
That was the point. I can't remember the details. I will try to
find the article and post the details later.
		Mark Longo
		..!ihnp4!drutx!mrl

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (10/02/85)

> OK , if it is true , then why don't the oil companies mix the same
> potion and sell it to the public as leaded super ??? They try like
> hell to please the customer , and I know they could sell a lot
> of this 95 octane gas.

It doesn't have enough lead to be legally leaded gas and has too
much lead to legally be unleaded gas.  Actually most people who
need leaded super actually do use this mix.  It is more expensive
than leaded super though since super no lead is very expensive.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (10/03/85)

In article <344@vaxwaller.UUCP> les@vaxwaller.UUCP (Les Dittert) writes:

>> No, it's true. Mixing about 1 part regular leaded @ 88-89 octane
>> with 2 parts super unleaded @ 91-92 octane will give you gasoline
>> that is about 94-95 octane. Beware....it is leaded gas. I don't
>
>OK , if it is true , then why don't the oil companies mix the same
>potion and sell it to the public as leaded super ??? They try like
>hell to please the customer , and I know they could sell a lot
>of this 95 octane gas. The chemists that work for Chevron must be
>STUPID , if they have the ingredients for this high octane
>gas sitting in their own pumps......

In fact, they DO sell it that way.  For example, at least Canadian
Sunoco sells this type of high-octane leaded (actually 1 part regular
leaded, 1 part super unleaded).

>   ( in other words , it don't work. )

Actually, it does.  It doesn't mean that oil companies will sell it,
though, because demand for leaded premium is rather low.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (10/08/85)

In article <344@vaxwaller.UUCP>, les@vaxwaller.UUCP (Les Dittert) writes:
> > >   I have heard that mixing gasolines with different octane ratings
> > > has a funny effect on the rating of the mix.  For example, mixing
> >
> > No, it's true. Mixing about 1 part regular leaded @ 88-89 octane
> > with 2 parts super unleaded @ 91-92 octane will give you gasoline
> > that is about 94-95 octane. Beware....it is leaded gas. I don't
>
> OK , if it is true , then why don't the oil companies mix the same
> potion and sell it to the public as leaded super ??? They try like
> hell to please the customer , and I know they could sell a lot
> of this 95 octane gas. The chemists that work for Chevron must be
> STUPID , if they have the ingredients for this high octane
> gas sitting in their own pumps......
>    ( in other words , it don't work. )

The chemist's aren't STUPID, the business people are the ones who
have stopped it. Originally most gas stations sold one or two
grades of leaded gas. When unleaded was introduced station owners,
or the oil companies who owned their own could either put in
another tank and more pumps or discontinue one of their other
grades. When super unleaded came around, they were faced with the
choice again. Today, given the choice between four tanks and all
the pumps and islands and real estate, most stations have limited
the choice to three grades of gas, some to only two. Super
unleaded is needed the least (today) so it got the boot first!

	( in other words, it do work. )
	( I used the same brand of logic for my conclusion :-)!)