[comp.sys.next] NeXT software

jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (06/16/89)

I have written a nice little program that is similar to the probably
well-known xload. I call this one NLoad (NeXT Load). It can be obtained
by anonymous ftp from cs.orst.edu (128.193.32.1) in pub/next/sources.

While you are there, check out pub/next/sounds for some alternate system
beeps. (In case you don't know how, you change the system beep by the
following command:
ln -s /NextLibrary/Sounds/newbeep.snd /NextLibrary/Sounds/SystemBeep.snd)

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@hobbes.cs.orst.edu

Please let me know how you like NLoad and tell me of any improvements that
I could make. Thanks.

george@cs.purdue.EDU (Michael J. George) (10/19/90)

I'm not sure if this is a truly idotic question or not, but I've been told
that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.  So I'll give it
a shot...

I've seen lists of all the software that comes with the NeXT, but I would
like to know what of the standard UNIX-like tools come with the std. dist.
and the dev set.  Mostly I'm concerned about straight text editors (simple
one like vi), and some UNIX util stuff like yacc and lex.  Also, I've heard
that either C++ or the Objective C compiler (one of the two) will compile
regular (not object oriented) code.  If there is anyone with more knowledge
than me about this stuff (I'm sure there is), I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks alot.

-Michael George
 george@cs.purdue.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/20/90)

In article <12117@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> george@lisa.cs.purdue.edu (Michael J. George) writes:
>I've seen lists of all the software that comes with the NeXT, but I would
>like to know what of the standard UNIX-like tools come with the std. dist.
>and the dev set.  Mostly I'm concerned about straight text editors (simple
>one like vi), and some UNIX util stuff like yacc and lex.  Also, I've heard
>that either C++ or the Objective C compiler (one of the two) will compile
>regular (not object oriented) code.

NeXT comes with all standard UNIX BSD 4.3 stuff except:
/games, pc, ratfor, and a couple of other things.
But there is everything else there: vi, lex, yacc, awk, as, cc etc.
For all intents and purposes NeXT is a standard UNIX BSD 4.3 from the
point of a user. cc compiles c, Objective-C and c++ in the new
release.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet