[comp.sys.next] Computer Readible serial number....

wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (10/08/90)

The Sun computers come with an individual serial number stored in
EEPROM that is accessible via the operating system calls. This
makes generating site licenses easier. Does the NeXT machine
have anything like this?

-Peter Wayner
(wayner@cs.cornell.edu)

Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (10/09/90)

In article <46811@cornell.UUCP> (Peter Wayner) writes:
>The Sun computers come with an individual serial number stored in
>EEPROM that is accessible via the operating system calls. This
>makes generating site licenses easier. Does the NeXT machine
>have anything like this?

I don't know how Sun does this because I don't use Suns extensively. I know
that every machine (or board, for that matter) that has an ethernet controller
on it has a unique identification number with the ethernet chip. There are
routines that you can use to find what this id number is. This is true for
Suns, NeXTs, Macs w/ ethernet cards, IBMs w/ ethernet cards, etc. etc.

I'd be curious on how you plan to implement site licenses with this unique
number.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

king@next.com (Peter King) (10/20/90)

In article <46811@cornell.UUCP> wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
>The Sun computers come with an individual serial number stored in
>EEPROM that is accessible via the operating system calls. This
>makes generating site licenses easier. Does the NeXT machine
>have anything like this?

Yes, NeXT provides the same sort of machine readable serial number.
It is based on the CPU board's ethernet address which by definition is
guaranteed to be unique.

You can get this number with the gethostid() system call.  The first
byte of the number will always be 1.  The last three bytes of the
number will be the same as the last three bytes of the ethernet
address.  Ethernet addresses are six bytes long, a little large for an
int.  NeXT ethernet addresses always have the same IEEE assigned first
three bytes (00:00:0f).

Peter King
Developer Trainer