[comp.sys.next] NeXT Mail Order

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (10/19/90)

In <49987@unix.cis.pitt.edu> haugelan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C.  Haugeland) writes:

>>There is plenty of affordable software, and most of the software is
>>being priced at "PC" prices, not at workstation prices.  There is
>>plenty of very expensive software on the Macintosh, too.

>I'm not convinced that this answers the charge that NeXT software will
>be more expensive than for other platforms. After all, nobody in his
>or her right mind would pay list for Adobe Illustrator, Lotus 123, or
>Word Perfect; mail order prices are 50% to 60% of "retail". But if
>NeXT software is not carried by such competitive vendors, we may
>actually have to pay list price--in effect, almost double the real
>prices for other machines.

>Does anybody know anything about this, or have any ideas?

Yes, does anybody know of any places that sell NeXT stuff mail order?

I've thought about this myself some from time to time.  Since there is
no mail order firm (that I know of) to carry NeXT programs, you have
to basically go to them to the people who make it to buy anything.
This is a serious detriment in that it doesn't allow 1) discount
pricing, 2) a wide range of people to find out about products.
Basically we are limited to looking at the product catalog and calling
the vendors up, and if you are lucky, you are at a university and the
vendor offers a educational discount price.  If not, well, you're
screwed.

What we need is a mail order place that stocks software and then
common hardware too!  Like SIMMs!  It's quite trying to go looking
thru Computer Shopper to find the best deals.  And harddrives?  Well,
lots of folks have had quite a number of problems there it seems.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a vendor selling drives guaranteed to
work with your machine?  But software would be of special importance!
Getting a wide range of products, and getting them for as good as
price as you can.  And ALSO, getting low cost shareware/freeware
products in there, especially for distribution to those folks who
don't/can't get to ftp archive sites, as well as to offer the small
developer a place to market his programs.

Given such a place, when people look to NeXT and ask what kind of
software they have, where can you get cheap memory/drives, etc. you
could point them at that company.  With cooperation from NeXT, ad's
could be sent to the purchasers, to let them know where they can get
stuff at good prices.

I've thought about creating such a business.  Make it very low profit,
just enough to keep it afloat.  However, I have virtually no clue as
to what it would take to get something like this going.  If such a
place DID exist, would it be able to do enough business to stay around?

So would you folks out there like such a place?  Would you BUY from
it?  Let me know.  Wouldn't that be a good way to put my a new Cube to
use, eh?

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/19/90)

In article <5811@mace.cc.purdue.edu) asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
)I've thought about this myself some from time to time.  Since there is
)no mail order firm (that I know of) to carry NeXT programs, you have
)to basically go to them to the people who make it to buy anything.
)What we need is a mail order place that stocks software and then

Your wish is someone's command. The PC Connection folks have stated
recently that they will be starting NeXTconnection, a mail order
service specializing in NeXT stuff. So don't forget to support
your third-party vendors with your pocketbooks, folks. Buy, Buy,
Buy!

--
	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (10/20/90)

In article <9304@helios.TAMU.EDU>, cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) says:

>Your wish is someone's command. The PC Connection folks have stated
>recently that they will be starting NeXTconnection, a mail order
> [...stuff deleted...]              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NeXTConnection? Isn't that the name of the newsletter written by
NeXT Technical Support?

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''