[net.followup] CBW, racially oriented diseases, etc

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (08/18/85)

Sorry, one more quick point. Given that the pre-disposition to
sickle-cell has been shown to be a consequence of a genetic resistance
to malaria and that this resistance is much more prevalent among people
who live in malaria prone regions and (whew) that a lot of these people
are what we like to call 'a different race' I suppose dumping loads of
malaria all over the world might select out those people from that
'race' as survivors. Sorta like if you forced everyone to eat twinkies
and slim jims only hackers would survive :-)

So what?

Are you saying that killing millions of people is immoral?

I don't think anyone is arguing.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

tim@cithep.UucP (Tim Smith ) (08/23/85)

> 'race' as survivors. Sorta like if you forced everyone to eat twinkies
> and slim jims only hackers would survive :-)

I know what a twinkie is, but I have never heard of a "slim jim".  What
is it?  Is it not on the West Coast, or something, or am I just out of
touch with my junk food?
--
unlk	a6
rts

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/25/85)

In article <112@cithep.UucP> tim@cithep.UucP (Tim Smith ) writes:
>> 'race' as survivors. Sorta like if you forced everyone to eat twinkies
>> and slim jims only hackers would survive :-)
>
>I know what a twinkie is, but I have never heard of a "slim jim".  What
>is it?  Is it not on the West Coast, or something, or am I just out of
>touch with my junk food?

A 'Slim Jim' is a slender cylinder of matter purported to be chemically
related to smoked sausage.  I wasn't aware that hackers (nor anyone else)
actually eat them, though.

I don't know if they are distributed nationwide or not, but they are readily
available at liquor store checkout counters here in the Northeast.

AWR