[comp.sys.next] 105 Mb Systems - Bundled Software

GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (10/19/90)

Software Release 2.0  (included w/105Mb drive systems)
  Workspace Manager
  Edit
  Digital Librarian
  NeXTmail
  Preferences
  Preview for PostScript
  PrintManager
  Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary
  Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus
  WriteNow Word Processor
  DataViz/Bridge

  VT100 Terminal Emulator

  MailManager
  NetInfoManager
  NetManager
  PrinterTester
  UserManager
  Installer

Software Release 2.0 Extended  (included w/340 + Mb drives)
  All above +
  Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  William Shakespeare, The Complete Works
  TeX Document Processing System

  Interface Builder
  Objective-C Language Compiler
  C++ Language Compiler
  Objective-C Class Definitions
  56001 DSP Tools
  GNU Emacs
  GNU Debugger
  Bug-56 Debugger (Ariel)
  Malloc Debugger
  AppInspector
  PostScript Tools
  Application Kit
  Music Kit
  Sound Kit
  On-line Technical Documentation

  - Lotus Improv available to folks who purchase or upgrade b4 31 Dec 1990.
  - Mathematica available to higher education customers.

Tyler

PS: Even though the extended software is not included with a small
drive system, I believe that once you buy a NeXT you have rights to all
bundled software.

If this is true then a 105Mb system user can buy an external drive later
and download the other system software from another NeXT.

dave@convex.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (10/19/90)

From article <12630816173032@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich):
  PS: Even though the extended software is not included with a small
  drive system, I believe that once you buy a NeXT you have rights to all
  bundled software.

  If this is true then a 105Mb system user can buy an external drive later
  and download the other system software from another NeXT.

So if what you're saying is correct, I should be able to put the
distribution on a non-NeXT nfs server for my own use?

My situation is whether or not I can get the boss to buy me one or not.
I would consider buying the 105Mb slab for myself, but it's not going
to be too useful to me without more storage which I can't really afford
right now.

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (10/19/90)

dave@convex.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>From article <12630816173032@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich):
>  PS: Even though the extended software is not included with a small
>  drive system, I believe that once you buy a NeXT you have rights to all
>  bundled software.
>
>  If this is true then a 105Mb system user can buy an external drive later
>  and download the other system software from another NeXT.
>
>So if what you're saying is correct, I should be able to put the
>distribution on a non-NeXT nfs server for my own use?
>
>My situation is whether or not I can get the boss to buy me one or not.
>I would consider buying the 105Mb slab for myself, but it's not going
>to be too useful to me without more storage which I can't really afford
>right now.

Since there seems to be alot of confusion on this subject, I place
_my_ reading of the 2.0 stuff here . . .:

Current users of 1.0 who stay with an '030 cube (both of them) must
purchase an upgrade to 2.0, which, so far as I know, has not been
set, yet.  After purchasing this, they are licensed to run 2.0.

Current cube owners who purchase the upgrade to '040 can purchase in
one of two ways:  with a 105M and without.  Or something like that.
Since the 105M comes with standard 2.0 pre-installed, it seems
obvious that that machine is licensed for 2.0.  I'm not sure, though,
on the raw upgrade.  Since 1.0 will not run on an '040 machine (ROM
changes), it seems sensible that the 2.0 upgrade price would be
included in the '040 upgrade price.

Anyone who buys a NeXTStation or any of the another new systems
will automagically be licensed to run 2.0.

Now, what does the license to run 2.0 give you?  In most cases, the
machine, or possibly upgrade, will include the 105M, and thus
the standard distribution.  Now, here's the main point of this:

People who are already licensed to run 2.0 can get 2.0 somehow -
buying media from NeXT which happens to have 2.0 on it, from a
local NFS server, or via sneaker-net, or any of the other
popular NeXT networks.

So, this means that anyone who chooses to stay with an '030 must
purchase an upgraded license, while everyone else gets it with their
new machine or '040 upgrade.

Now, I just want to make clear that this has nothing to do with anything
that NeXT has told me.  I just have brought together stuff I've seen on
this newsgroup, and applied a little common sense.

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/20/90)

In article <9010190407.AA06996@next-5.gac.edu> scott@NIC.GAC.EDU writes:
>dave@convex.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>>From article <12630816173032@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich):
>>  PS: Even though the extended software is not included with a small
>>  drive system, I believe that once you buy a NeXT you have rights to all
>>  bundled software.
>>
>Current users of 1.0 who stay with an '030 cube (both of them) must
>purchase an upgrade to 2.0, which, so far as I know, has not been
>set, yet.  After purchasing this, they are licensed to run 2.0.

I see a little problem here: The upgrade costs 195$. Included in this
price is an OD that costs 145$, keyboard tilt-feet, manuals.
Subtracting alls the costs from the upgrade price does not leave much
room for license fees. This seems to suggest that if you don't want
the tilt feet, the OD or the manuals, then you should be allowed to
get 2.0 from your friendly neighbour. Could NeXT comment on this?
Yes, I'll get my upgrade anyway, I want to have a clean distribution
on a OD...

>So, this means that anyone who chooses to stay with an '030 must
>purchase an upgraded license, while everyone else gets it with their
>new machine or '040 upgrade.

No, the board upgrade and the OS upgrade are different order number
and are not bundled together. What about buying several boards and
only one software upgrade?

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

rjtg0209@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/23/90)

/* Written 12:45 pm  Oct 18, 1990 by GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
[...]

/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */