[comp.sys.next] NeXT emulator

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (10/17/90)

What if we reverse this question.  Take a close look at the Macintosh IIci and
you'll see most of the NeXT 030 cube hardware.  Instead of figuring out what
it takes to bring up the Mac OS on a NeXT, how about the problem of bringing
up the NeXT OS on the IIci so we can put some of these machines to useful
work.  None of this magic ROM stuff necessary.  And when Apple comes out with
their really powerful 040 model in the Spring, we'll be ready for them.

- Christopher  ;-) ;-) ;-) (read my smilies ;-)
-------

In article <MailManager.656119593.9952.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu>
	lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>What if we reverse this question.  Take a close look at the Macintosh IIci and
>you'll see most of the NeXT 030 cube hardware.  Instead of figuring out what
>it takes to bring up the Mac OS on a NeXT, how about the problem of bringing
>up the NeXT OS on the IIci so we can put some of these machines to useful
>work.

I don't think even that's necessary--how about a window server?
NeXTs are aggressively priced compared to other workstations,
but cash-poor Universities are looking seriously at X Terminals.
Hey, we have MacX, right?  Why not NextStep?

					-=EPS=-

dgb@unislc.uucp (Douglas Barrett) (10/23/90)

From article <MailManager.656119593.9952.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu>, by lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane):
> What if we reverse this question.  Take a close look at the Macintosh IIci and
> - Christopher  ;-) ;-) ;-) (read my smilies ;-)
> -------

Why smile?  There exists Macs happily runnins Sys V and BSD.  Straight
ports, clean.  I mean take the source, (after getting all of the correct
and necessary licenses) for any generic 680X0 box (Sun, Apallo, HP,....)
and you are 90% done.

You need a few hacks for the Nubus.  And if you want you can make Mac
system calls (for Quickdraw) available, by simply useing a native Mac
C compiler.  Mach would be no more trouble.  The only problem is that
UNIX on a Mac makes it *very* difficult to use all of the hardware/
software available.

And if you take away all of the inexpensive Mac goodies whats the
point?  Does anyone really believe that a sans third party network
Mac is price/performance leader?

Douglas Barrett                                I speak for myself
Unix Sytems Programmer
Unisys SLC Utah