[comp.sys.next] Portable NeXT?

barry@julia.math.ucla.edu (09/25/90)

One of the nicest things about the latest line of machines from NeXT
is that I can finally have the same machine at home as in the
office (say, get a nice slab for home, and a NeXTDimension cube
for the office) instead of the current duality (NeXT at home, for use,
Sparc in the office, for power).

All thats missing is a _portable NeXT_---then I could have one with
me at all times!

Did anyone mention the possibility of a NeXT portable? Now that
the architects are done with the cude, and slab, they need
something to work on...I can see the specs now: built
in microwave transmitter, satellite dish,...

Hopefully, NeXT will be smarter than Apple and not wait 4 more
years to introduce a portable.

One contribution we can make: the name; whats the next term in
this sequence: Cube, Slab, ____

Chip?  Briquette?

Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (09/26/90)

   One contribution we can make: the name; whats the next term in
   this sequence: Cube, Slab, ____

   Chip?  Briquette?

Chunk, block, brick (though that's taken, I think).

Since is will be a 6" ivory sphere, though, I think softball may
be more appropriate :-)

scott

stevew@ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (09/26/90)

   One contribution we can make: the name; whats the next term in
   this sequence: Cube, Slab, ____
   Chip?  Briquette?

Flake? :-)

Steve Wootton
stevew@{en,ei,el}.ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (09/26/90)

In article <9009260416.AA01024@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@NIC.GAC.EDU writes:

>   One contribution we can make: the name; whats the next term in
>   this sequence: Cube, Slab, ____

Hmm,
	From the way things are going, how about "slice"?  "I'd
like another slice, please."  "Pass the slice over here.  No--not
that slice, the NeXT slice... yes, thank you."

	Although I don't know how it will hold up with the drink
of the same name.

Ken
.............................................................________________.
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (09/27/90)

In article <407@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Barry Merriman) writes:
>Hopefully, NeXT will be smarter than Apple and not wait 4 more
>years to introduce a portable.
>One contribution we can make: the name; whats the next term in
>this sequence: Cube, Slab, ____

Plate.  Slice.  Saucer.  Discus.  Frisbee.  Nerf.
        Geoffrey S. Knauth                           geoff@camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                     geoff%camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451                --standard disclaimers--

34X3TAN@CMUVM.BITNET (09/28/90)

Right now the only problem with a portable NeXT is that active matrix color
liquid crystal displays are not large enough to equal mega-pixel in dimentions.
But, considering that they now have VGA resolutions in such flat-panel displays
, I figure that is only a matter of time...

                                       Jeff Kavanaugh:
                                       NeXT fanatic...

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/07/90)

In article <90271.01052434X3TAN@CMUVM.BITNET> 34X3TAN@CMUVM.BITNET writes:
>Right now the only problem with a portable NeXT is that active matrix color
>liquid crystal displays are not large enough to equal mega-pixel in dimentions.

I guess in a portable color is not top priority. As Toshiba proved
with their portable Sparc-based Laptop, it is possibel to put a
workstation class computer in a lap-top, even a LCD display with
mega-pixel resolution. In fact NeXT could use Toshibas facilities to
get a bare-bone portable i.e. case and display. Then they just would
need to put in an appropriate CPU-board and there we have our portable
NeXT. So maybe we will see such a thing soon. Would be really cool...

Ronald

P.S.: This is NOT a rumor, this is just a discussion of the
possibilites and a wish.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

rock@lighthouse.com (10/08/90)

In article <52379@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony)
writes:

>In fact NeXT could use Toshibas facilities to
>get a bare-bone portable i.e. case and display. Then they just would
>need to put in an appropriate CPU-board and there we have our portable
>NeXT. So maybe we will see such a thing soon. Would be really cool...

Since IBM has announced NeXTstep for PS/2s running AIX 3.0, I imagine
it might be possible to use a PS/2-compatible portable as a NeXTstep
machine. (Of course, storage requirements might make the machine more
of a luggable.)

Anyone have a clue about the feasibility of such a portable?

Roger Rosner
Lighthouse Design
rock@lighthouse.com

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct8.055915.862@lighthouse.com> rock@lighthouse.com writes:
   (Of course, storage requirements might make the machine more of a
   luggable.)

The Oct 1 1990 issue of Electronic Engineering Times has a brief
article on page 16 describing Maxtor's announcement of a 3.5" drive
that holds (get this!) 535Mb.  It has a 128Kb cache, access times
average 12ms for reads and 13ms for writes, and a 6Mb/sec peak
transfer rate through synchronous SCSI.

The article doesn't mention its weight, but I probably wouldn't mind
carrying one through an airport, inside an appropriate machine :-)

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct8.055915.862@lighthouse.com> rock@lighthouse.com writes:

>In article <52379@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony)
>writes:
>
>>In fact NeXT could use Toshibas facilities to
>>get a bare-bone portable i.e. case and display. Then they just would
>>need to put in an appropriate CPU-board and there we have our portable
>>NeXT. So maybe we will see such a thing soon. Would be really cool...
>
>Since IBM has announced NeXTstep for PS/2s running AIX 3.0, I imagine
>it might be possible to use a PS/2-compatible portable as a NeXTstep
>machine. (Of course, storage requirements might make the machine more
>of a luggable.)
>
>Anyone have a clue about the feasibility of such a portable?

The portable I was referring to is Toshibas SparcLaptop, not the
T5200.
Nevertheless a PC-compatible Portable running NeXTStep would be great
for other reasons. The problem seems to be with IBM. As far as I have
been told they want to offer only NeXTStep on machines with a special
high speed display adapter. This might be ok for everyday usage, but
when I am travelling, then I care less about speed than about that I
can use the same software, test out some ideas etc. Unless IBM brings
a RS/6000 portable or a P70/megapixel I'm afraid it doesn't look like
this is going to work out anytime soon. But maybe NeXT will surprise
us in the Future. Give them a chance :-)

Ronald

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (10/23/90)

>Since IBM has announced NeXTstep for PS/2s running AIX 3.0, I imagine

Unfortunately they've yanked the product. It was "too slow" according to a
marketing person at the BaNG meeting last week. My comment to that was
"So what, you released PM just the same, why not NeXTStep"? But anyway,
it certainly ran well on an RS/6000. I was surprised to see that they
use the StepStone Objective-C compiler and not GNU.

Anyway...scratch that portable idea - I wanted to do that myself.

- g