[comp.sys.next] Tape Backup

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (10/24/90)

I am seeking advice on tape backup systems for the NeXT.  Exabyte
tape drives seem to have a good reputation among UNIX users.  Does
anyone use Exabytes with NeXTS?  Are they reliable, compatible,
convenient, etc.?  Are there other drives recommended?  Any favorite
vendors in Southern California?

steve frank
steve@fisher.bio.uci.edu

stan@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Stan Osborne) (10/24/90)

In article <2724D726.26915@orion.oac.uci.edu> steve@fisher.bio.uci.edu (Steven Frank) writes:
>I am seeking advice on tape backup systems for the NeXT.  Exabyte
>tape drives seem to have a good reputation among UNIX users.  Does
>anyone use Exabytes with NeXTS?  Are they reliable, compatible,
>convenient, etc.?  Are there other drives recommended?  Any favorite
>vendors in Southern California?

We have an Exabyte attached to this system.  It is used regularly for
backups.  NeXT provides the "xt" Exabyte device driver so dump and
tar work just fine.

We have had no problems with our 2.4 GByte tape backup system.
We have not tried to exchange tapes with other systems so
I can not address the issue of compatiblity.

We pay less than $8.00 for an 8mm tape that fits in ones pocket and can
backup all of the 1.3Gbytes of disk data on this system.  With the Exabyte
we backup many other systems using the network.  These are some of the many
convenient things that come from using an Exabyte.

We bought our Exabyte from Galaxy Systems in Foster City, CA (Northern).
(They gave us a real good price.)

Stan
--
Stan Osborne, Computer Science Department, San Francisco State University
Internet: stan@cs.sfsu.edu    Usenet: cshub!stan    Voice: (415) 338-2168