[comp.sys.next] Postscript II

jpjst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James P. Joyce) (09/20/90)

Do the new NeXTstations work with files written in Postscript II  or
have hooks to upgrade to it later on?

						Thanks

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (09/21/90)

yes, NeXTstep 2.0 includes Postcript version 2.
--

                                             .mike.

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (09/22/90)

In article <MDIXON.90Sep20151057@thelonius.parc.xerox.com> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:
>yes, NeXTstep 2.0 includes Postcript version 2.
>--
>
>                                             .mike.

No, it does not.  NeXTStep v2.0 contains the fast rasterizer found in
the PostScript Language Level 2 but not the language extensions.

Q. When will NeXTStep have the Level 2 extensions?
A. I have absolutely no idea when it will encompass Level 2, but we can
   only hope for the next release of NeXTStep 8-).

Carl

baffico@adobe.COM (Tom Baffico) (09/22/90)

In article <MDIXON.90Sep20151057@thelonius.parc.xerox.com> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:
>yes, NeXTstep 2.0 includes Postcript version 2.
>--
>
>                                             .mike.

Well....
NeXTStep 2.0 does include the  new font rendering technology found in
Adobe Type Manager. And there is now support at the Display PostScript
level for composite fonts (typefaces with large character sets like kanji)
but it is not a PostScript Level 2 release, if that was the original question.

Tom Baffico
Adobe Systems

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (09/25/90)

In article <6657@adobe.UUCP> orthlieb@adobe.UUCP (Carl Orthlieb) writes:
>No, it does not.  NeXTStep v2.0 contains the fast rasterizer found in
>the PostScript Language Level 2 but not the language extensions.

NeXT's PostScript even contains some of the language extensions.
Somone at NeXT quoted it to be PS Level 1.5

By the way: that's a good reason to buy the NeXT laserprinter: with
this one you will always be up to date with the current PS release.
With some others you will have to get ROM upgrades at probably
expensive prices, so you can get them at all...

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (10/26/90)

Hi,
     I just read an announcement on the comp.lang.postscript forum describing
the introduction of postscript II. Evidently (this is from a quick scan of
the article) it is designed to encompass the myriad features that different
versions of postscript have accumulated. So the Display Postscript, the Magenta,
Cyan... color Postscript, etc are all going to be in the same set of code.
This will give all postscript devices the same functionality.
     I would be interested in hearing NeXT's plans and policies regarding
this revision of Postscript.

Thanks,
Chris Songer