[comp.sys.next] Protect Sys Accounting?

reid@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid) (10/25/90)

Through "Preferences", at least, individual students on
our NeXT's reset and vary things that invalidate the
system accounting features as given by:  ac -p -d.

Does anyone have a scheme to lock individuals out of
these management-type accesses similar to Unix requiring
super-user status to reset the system time?

Incidently, this is an open lab, supported by NFS-servers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dick

cbradley@blackbox.lonestar.org (Chris Bradley) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.145031.28374@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> reid@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Dr Richard J. Reid) writes:
>Through "Preferences", at least, individual students on
>our NeXT's reset and vary things that invalidate the
>system accounting features as given by:  ac -p -d.
>
>Does anyone have a scheme to lock individuals out of
>these management-type accesses similar to Unix requiring
>super-user status to reset the system time?

Excuse me if this has already been said here, but
/NextApps/Preferences is set (in the 1.0a distribution) to run setuid root;
this is what allows several different non-root userid's on the same cube to
be able to set the time, etc.

To disable this "feature," we changed the mode on /NextApps/Preferences with
the following command:

	localhost# chmod 755 /NextApps/Preferences

--
Chris Bradley			| "There are three things which the public will
Businessland Advanced Systems	| always clamour for, sooner or later: namely,