[comp.sys.next] Time/Clock in Preferences

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (10/26/90)

In an earlier message, Eric P. Scott (eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU) writes:

>One of the first things you should have done when installing your
>1.0/1.0a systems was
>        # chmod 755 /NextApps/Preferences

>If you're Internet-connected, get a copy of NTP (Network Time
>Protocol) and use that to set your clocks.  Messed up accounting
>is the least of your problems.

Even in NeXTstep v2.0, Preferences is suid root, but if you are on
a network and the network time daemon is running, then you will no
longer be able to set the time.  You may only sync the time on your
machine with the network time, even though you can still change the
time zone.  Network time management is done through the new
NetManager in /NextAdmin.

Also, sections in the new Preferences are dynamically loaded from
the resource files in /usr/lib/Preferences.  (If NeXT makes the format
public, perhaps we'll see a proliferation of CDEV-like utilities. Ugh.)

-Declan

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu