[comp.sys.next] Crashed my NeXT, help...

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (10/25/90)

Here's my story:

I have a NeXT cube.  I recently crashed my optical drive and disk and
so had to install a new one of both.  The new disk has version 1.0
software, and was running in one user mode (no password for root or me
accounts).  I took the time to install an account for myself, and then
I gave root a password. I did logout (forgetting to give the me
account a password) and now my NeXT only gives a blank screen when I
power up.  If someone could offer me a solution to my dilemma, I would
be greatly appreciative!

Thanks,

Charles

--
!===========================================================================!
! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (10/25/90)

In <HEMSTREE.90Oct24170011@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu> hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:

>Here's my story:

>I have a NeXT cube.  I recently crashed my optical drive and disk and
>so had to install a new one of both.  The new disk has version 1.0
>software, and was running in one user mode (no password for root or me
>accounts).  I took the time to install an account for myself, and then
>I gave root a password. I did logout (forgetting to give the me
>account a password) and now my NeXT only gives a blank screen when I
>power up.  If someone could offer me a solution to my dilemma, I would
>be greatly appreciative!

>Thanks,

>Charles

Try hitting command-command-tilde (on the number pad) when you turn on. This
will bring up the rom monitor. You can type 'help' or 'h' there, or try 'bod'
for boot optical, or you can boot from hard disk (the cammand can be found
from help, its 'bsd' for boot scsi or something like that).

Could you tell us how you crashed your machine such that you needed to
replace the optical drive and disk (which I assume is a hard drive)?

This would be a nice thing for us to avoid if we can.

Thanks,

Dan
--
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (10/27/90)

This is in response to my posting.  Thanks for all your help net,
appreciate the advice given.  I ended up taking the advice of a NeXT
tech supportman (thank you Allen Markum - sorry if I spelled your name
wrong) and he suggested to rebuild my od.  I took it our campus rep
and he made me a fresh copy (thank you Doug Pattie Colorado State's
campus NeXT rep), and we are all happy, right? :-)  As for
the od failing.  This was due to the odisk being stored in the odrive
while being transported.  (I don't know how they did it.  I wasn't
there when it happened.)

Thanks again,

Charles