[comp.sys.next] Time/Clock

chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (10/25/90)

Just a simple and quick question:

Is there any way to prevent the user from changing the Time/Clock on
the old Cube?

Our account file looks really funny since anybody can change it as they
like.  And the NeXT looks really bad since they allow this to happen.

BTW, is their any manual exist for NeXT?  Most of the time when I look
at some topics on the on line manual, I fond it marked as not available
on-line.  And also I have 2 thick Preliminary manual.  They are next to
useless for the system manager.  I have sixteen old Cube in my lab, and
going to get ~20 Slab pretty soon (within weeks.)  But right now, for
most of the functions I am responsible, I have to try to pretend they
are just another Unix box.  But they are not.  And their are no
documents talk about the differences.  It is more than frustrated.  I
have already told some friends, all system integrators/government
contractors type, that the NeXT is not ready yet.  I think they need may
another one or two years before they got their manual written.  Sorry,
maybe I should not use the SUN manual as the standard to compare with.

Ooops, I said just a quick and simple question.  Waste too much
bandwith.

In article <1990Oct25.153836.1922@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>
	chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) writes:
>Is there any way to prevent the user from changing the Time/Clock on
>the old Cube?

One of the first things you should have done when installing your
1.0/1.0a systems was
	# chmod 755 /NextApps/Preferences

This has been mentioned repeatedly in the past on comp.sys.next,
but for some reason isn't adequately covered in NextAnswers
(perhaps someone needs to revise preferences.479?)

If you're Internet-connected, get a copy of NTP (Network Time
Protocol) and use that to set your clocks.  Messed up accounting
is the least of your problems.

					-=EPS=-

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (10/27/90)

While we are on the subject of setting the clock, does anyone know of
a BSD-able program that will call up either the Naval Observatory or
the NBS modem time numbers and automatically set the system clock?

Thanks.
---
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK