[comp.sys.next] Jobs in Forbes 400

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/23/90)

All those predicting that NeXT will fold should note that
Steve Jobs is listed in the latest Forbes "400 richest people" list as having
a net personal worth of nearly $400 million.

So, it would take a lot for NeXT to go under---they could survive off
of Jobs' _personal assets_ alone for years, never mind the backing from
Canon, H.R. Perot, etc. (Sure, much of his assets are tied up in NeXT, but he could
always borrow against these if he wanted.)

The little bio also says Jobs dropped out of Reed college after trying
LSD and eastern philosophy, worked briefly as a game designer for Atari,
and then went on to hit it big. It also says he has a daughter (but no wife).

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) (10/26/90)

In article <596@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>The little bio also says Jobs dropped out of Reed college after trying
>LSD and eastern philosophy, worked briefly as a game designer for Atari,
>and then went on to hit it big. It also says he has a daughter (but no wife).

At the October BCS-NeXT meeting, a "rumor of the month" was that Jobs
has recently married.

        Geoffrey S. Knauth                           geoff@camex.com
    Camex, Inc., 75 Kneeland St.                     geoff%camex@uunet.uu.net
Boston, MA 02111, (617) 426-3577 x451                --standard disclaimers--

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/27/90)

------
In article <1593@camex.COM>, geoff@circus.camex.com (Geoffrey Knauth) writes...

>In article <596@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>>The little bio also says Jobs dropped out of Reed college after trying
>>LSD and eastern philosophy, worked briefly as a game designer for Atari,
>>and then went on to hit it big. It also says he has a daughter (but no wife).
>
>At the October BCS-NeXT meeting, a "rumor of the month" was that Jobs
>has recently married.

For more info about Jobs read "West of Eden", a history of Apple Computer.
It's quite well written.  It's also fairly pro-Jobs.

For another book about Jobs check out "Accidental Millionaire".  It is not --
IMHO -- as well written, but it gives a different perspective on Jobs, a more
negative one.  So reading both books might give you a balanced perspective.
Or maybe not.

In relation to the original poster's info, from what I could gather from these
books an early girlfriend of Jobs -- with whom he lived for awhile -- had a
child, which she said was Jobs.  Jobs refused to pay child support (he was
worth millions by this time, she was broke) and was sued.  Eventually she won;
a test said with 90% plus probability that he was the father.  The child's name
was Lisa (no, they didn't name the computer after her).

(Disclaimer: the above is my recollection of what I read from the books; I
don't guarantee its accuracy.  Read the books for more info...)

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/27/90)

------
In article <1990Oct26.235328.23360@midway.uchicago.edu>, I wrote:

[various recommended bios of Steve Jobs and details concerning his child]

I was pondering my previous post.  It wasn't my intention to start a
comp.sys.nat.enquirer, but rather to fill in some details about a previous
post, details I got from some interesting books.  Maybe it's not classy to
discuss the private lives of public figures in forums such as this.  I dunno.

But, in any case, I was just trying to flesh out info provided in a previous
poster's post.  If you're interested in Job's bio, check out either of the two
books I recommended.