[comp.sys.next] Re-engineering

c186br@volga.Berkeley.EDU (Peng-Toh Sim) (10/28/90)

Hi

How about re-engineering licensed stuff?
Anybody interested in re-engineering NeXTStep(did I get the case mix right?)
 and rewrite X toolkits and Xlib routines to use NeXTStep ?
Or the remaining AT&T code left in Mach (like the file system) ?
Or the NeXT's additions to Mach?
Or all the nice stuff around you would like to have running on all
the Un*x machines (or non-Un*X) around?

Will NeXT be pissed off if we re-engineer, say, NeXTStep?

If we can get a lot of quality software to run on the NeXT, and make the
machine compatible with the Un*x machines around (in terms of GUI, e-mail,
and whatever you think is not 'right'), then we can get people interested
in the machine.

We have a chicken and egg problem (like everybody knows)
(1) nobody wants a NeXT because XXX software or XXX kind of programs is not
    officially supported or non-existent or not ported.
(2) Major companies do want to support NeXT because of not enough users or
    it uses a non-standard YYY or whatever excuse already used for new
    computers.

So we 'solve' one end of it, the end we can hope to 'solve'.
Get a wide variety of software to run on the NeXT! (And hopefully
better than any existing versions.)

(Please send flames (or grammar corrections) thru e-mail :-)

Still waiting for my you-know-what.
- sim.

Hey! Look, I'm dreaming! I'm dreaming!
Disclaimer : Did I take my medicine this morning?
		Morning? It's morning already!!!
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
Subject: Re-engineering