[comp.sys.next] Educom and NeXT

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (10/23/90)

Since no one has as yet posted anything about NeXT at
Educomm'90, I thought I'd offer a few comments.

Educom's annual conference on information technology
in higher education was held this year in Atlanta, GA,
hosted by Georgia Tech (home of BuzzNUG).  It was a great
conference, and NeXT was there in force.  They ran both
a display of some 12 machines in the vendor exhibit
area and anothersix or so machines in their hospitality
suite.  They had the entire new product line present, including
the NeXTDimension color system:  beautiful!  Steve Jobs gave
the closing talk, "Interpersonal computing for the 90s," which
turned out to be a version of the
demo he gave at the introduction of the new products in
San Francisco.  An impressive performance, though more of
a sustained advertisement for his wares than a keynote address.
The audience seemed appreciative, however.

NeXT seemed successful in generating a lot of interest and
enthusiasm.  As the conference wore on, the new black turtleneck
NeXT T-shirts appeared in greater and greater numbers, and
people seemed interested in the new NeXT.  Jobs' speech, which
was the last event of the conference, was well attended.

A few things I learned, which may or may not come as news to
others:

1.  OCR software is now available from HSD, the people who make
the grey-scale scanner for the Cube.  It is added automatically
to the "services" menu item so that OCR becomes a kind of standard,
system-wide service (although it must be purchased separately).

2.  Database kits are on the way, i.e., objects for interfacing
with either the Sybase or Oracles database servers.  They were
being demonstrated at the conference, and I was told that they
would be available fairly soon at a low price.

3.  NeXT will probably not be supporting SLIP in the foreseeable
future. I was told that they are aware of the problem of un-
networked cubes, and that a solution would be made available at
some point, but that support of SLIP was not in the works.

4.  The upgrades will evidently ship with dust filters that will
extend the life of the OD drive by several years.  The third-party
filters already available tended to raise the temperature inside
the cube to unacceptable levels.  The NeXT filters do not, and
are safe.

5.  I got the impression frotalking to some NeXT people that
the 2.0 release of the system software had been hard-ware driven,
and was too rushed to include many of the enhancements that NeXT
wants to make.  So we can look forward to really goodhings (on
the level of system software) in 3.0.

All of the above is based on casual conversations with people
from NeXT who were at Educom.  I make no guarantee for its accuracy,
nor do I have any "inside" information.

Other subjective impressions:

Improv made a big hit, and NeXT was really pushing it.

To an untrained eye, the NeXTStation color is hard to distinguish
from the NeXTDimension color, i.e., the 16 bit color looks really
good.

As usual, there are a lot of "extras" in 2.0, including a nice
calendar/scheduler that I may well end up prefering to Calendoscope.

The whole mood was upbeat, both among the people from NeXT and
among those who were seeing the machines for the first time.  The
NeXT hospitality suite was jammed.  I left with a very good feeling
about NeXT's prospects for long-term success.  People were talking
about buying the machines; many said they already had them on order.
In short, things seem to be looking up.
David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

In article <1990Oct23.013521.28555@sjuphil.uucp>
	dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP () writes:
>3.  NeXT will probably not be supporting SLIP in the foreseeable
>future. I was told that they are aware of the problem of un-
>networked cubes, and that a solution would be made available at
>some point, but that support of SLIP was not in the works.

If this is true, they just lost a lot of NeXTstation orders from
our campus (people looking for a "home computer").  No kidding.

					-=EPS=-
--
Even A/UX supports SLIP.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (10/29/90)

/ comp.sys.next / dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) / Oct 22, 1990 /
> 4.  The upgrades will evidently ship with dust filters that will
> extend the life of the OD drive by several years.  The third-party
> filters already available tended to raise the temperature inside
> the cube to unacceptable levels.  The NeXT filters do not, and
> are safe.

Unfortunately, it looks like this filter goes on the back of the drive.
In early cubes, where the fan sucks the dust through the optical drive and
then blows air out of the back, the filter will make sure that the dust
stays in the drive.

Next solution?

Jacob
--