[comp.sys.next] SCSI peripherals

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (10/24/90)

What are the differences between SCSI II and SCSI I?  Is there a big speed
difference on a NeXT?  Are SCSI II drives easily available?  Are they more
expensive?

Thanks for your help.

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson   Data: (604) 687-6736

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Wild Willy) (10/24/90)

In ANDERSON.90Oct24073005@sapir.cog.jhu.edu, Steve Anderson writes:
>From: anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson)

>I'm thinking about getting rid of my Mac IIci and getting a NeXT: much
>as I like the idea of the "seamless integration of the MacOS and UNIX"
>under A/UX, A/UX 2.0 has to be the flakiest and most fragile UNIX
>implementation I've seen. But I'd like to know whether I can at least
>save my investment in SCSI devices.

I haven't seen a non-beta version of 2.0. That bad huh?

>a) I have a 600+ Meg Wren V attached to the Mac. Does the NeXT come
>with appropriate utilities to format, partition and mount this drive?
>If I were to get a cube rather than a slab, is it possible to mount
>this drive inside the cube (instead of in the external enclosure where
>it now lives)?

Yes and yes. You just need the appropriate ribbon cable, and a disktab
entry which is fairly easy to construct from onboard utilities.

>b) I also have a Toshiba CD-ROM drive. Does the NeXT have a driver for
>such a thing? And if it does, is there anything I can do with it?

I believe the answer to this one is yes, but you might want to check
it out with NeXT technical support.
Try mailing to Carlos_Salinas@next.com

>c) Finally, I have a TEAC 155 Meg cartridge tape unit. Again, is there
>a driver for this on the NeXT? Under A/UX, the TEAC isn't officially
>supported, but it is possible to find a (free) driver for it that was
>written as a public service.

SCSI tape drives are fine. You will need a SCSI II to SCSI I cable
($49 retail from NeXT part number N7007

>I suspect that other potential Mac->NeXT migrants would like to see
>information about the usability of such devices, so it might be better
>to post it than to send it to me directly. But if I get information in
>the mail, I'll summarize it and post it.

>Steve Anderson
>Dept. of Cognitive Science

Good luck!
--
             ____________________ Bill Smith____________________.
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (10/24/90)

[...]

The Johns Hopkins University

<anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu>

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Wild Willy) (10/25/90)

Bryce gives us a disktab for a WREN V:
#CDC Wren V 5.25" drive with 512 byte sector
CDC 94181-15:\
        :ty=fixed_rw_scsi:nc#1505:nt#15:ns#26:ss#1024:rm#3600:\
        :fp#160:bp#0:ng#0:gs#0:ga#0:ao#0:\
        :os=sdmach:z0#32:z1#96:\
        :pa#0:sa#456300:ba#8192:fa#1024:ca#32:da#4096:ra#10:oa=time:\
                :ia:ta=4.3BSD:\
        :pb#456300:sb#130260:bb#8192:fb#1024:cb#32:db#4096:rb#10:ob=time:\
                :ib:tb=4.3BSD:

This will give you two partitions for the drive.  If you want a single
partition you could use:

#CDC Wren V 5.25" drive with 512 byte sector
CDC 94181-15:\
        :ty=fixed_rw_scsi:nc#1505:nt#15:ns#26:ss#1024:rm#3600:\
        :fp#160:bp#0:ng#0:gs#0:ga#0:ao#0:\
        :os=sdmach:z0#32:z1#96:\
        :pa#0:sa#586560:ba#8192:fa#1024:ca#32:da#4096:ra#10:oa=time:\
                :ia:ta=4.3BSD:

Then after you run buildisk, mount the new drive and comment out "b"
partition lines from fstab.660, mtab and fstab.
Now you can boot from your 600 MB disk (if that is what you wish to
do).

-Bill-
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

jasmerb@prism.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (10/26/90)

In article <> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Wild Willy) writes:
>In ANDERSON.90Oct24073005@sapir.cog.jhu.edu, Steve Anderson writes:
>>a) I have a 600+ Meg Wren V attached to the Mac. Does the NeXT come
>>with appropriate utilities to format, partition and mount this drive?
>>If I were to get a cube rather than a slab, is it possible to mount
>>this drive inside the cube (instead of in the external enclosure where
>>it now lives)?
>Yes and yes. You just need the appropriate ribbon cable, and a disktab
>entry which is fairly easy to construct from onboard utilities.

Well, I just rebuilt my drive this weekend so I know this disktab works.
My Wren V is internal but it should work the same for an external if I
understand things correctly.

#CDC Wren V 5.25" drive with 512 byte sector
CDC 94181-15:\
	:ty=fixed_rw_scsi:nc#1505:nt#15:ns#26:ss#1024:rm#3600:\
	:fp#160:bp#0:ng#0:gs#0:ga#0:ao#0:\
	:os=sdmach:z0#32:z1#96:\
	:pa#0:sa#456300:ba#8192:fa#1024:ca#32:da#4096:ra#10:oa=time:\
		:ia:ta=4.3BSD:\
	:pb#456300:sb#130260:bb#8192:fb#1024:cb#32:db#4096:rb#10:ob=time:\
		:ib:tb=4.3BSD:

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@ohsu.edu

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (10/26/90)

In article <SMITHW.90Oct25120345@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu>, smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Wild Willy) writes:

> This will give you two partitions for the drive.  If you want a single
> partition you could use:
>
> #CDC Wren V 5.25" drive with 512 byte sector
> CDC 94181-15:\
>         :ty=fixed_rw_scsi:nc#1505:nt#15:ns#26:ss#1024:rm#3600:\
>         :fp#160:bp#0:ng#0:gs#0:ga#0:ao#0:\
>         :os=sdmach:z0#32:z1#96:\
>         :pa#0:sa#586560:ba#8192:fa#1024:ca#32:da#4096:ra#10:oa=time:\
>                 :ia:ta=4.3BSD:

It may be of interest to some people to know that in NeXTstep v2.0,
the BuildDisk application and /usr/etc/disk automatically determine
SCSI disk geometry and capacity for drives that support MODE_SENSE.

As a side note, to fix a potential security hole, BuildDisk has been
moved to /NextAdmin and now uses the /usr/lib/netinfo/NILoginPanel.nib
root user verification panel.  Also, it is NOT necesary to reformat
your hard drive when upgrading to NeXTstep v2.0.

BuildDisk and disk currently support single partition SCSI devices; to
divide your disk into multiple partitions, you still must create a
disktab entry for it.

-Declan

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/26/90)

Excerpts From Captions of netnews.comp.sys.next:
24-Oct-90  Re: SCSI peripherals           Wild Willy@hamblin.math. (2252)
>>b) I also have a Toshiba CD-ROM drive. Does the NeXT have a driver for
>>such a thing? And if it does, is there anything I can do with it?

No need to contact Carlos-- I can answer that.  Yes, it is plug and
play-- I have seen a Toshiba drive work w/sys 2.0.

b.bum

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so. So there. <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.."

kmarko@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Kurt Marko) (10/26/90)

:
:
: >I'm thinking about getting rid of my Mac IIci and getting a NeXT: much
: >as I like the idea of the "seamless integration of the MacOS and UNIX"
: >under A/UX, A/UX 2.0 has to be the flakiest and most fragile UNIX
: >implementation I've seen. But I'd like to know whether I can at least
: >save my investment in SCSI devices.
:
As another potential Mac2NeXT migrant, I have some similar questions.
Like Steve Anderson, I have a Wren drive in my Mac II (a 300M Wren III).
Bill Smith's reply seems to indicate there should be little problem
in constructing a disktab entry for this device (care to shed any more
light on this...or is this a FAQ?).

I also have an IOmega Bernoulli Box II (44M removeable cartridges).  It
is a SCSI device, so I can electrically connect it to the NeXT, but does
anyone have any idea about constructing a disktab for these?  Has this
been done by anyone else?  Regarding SCSI 2 cables for the NeXT, I
gather that NeXT sells a cable to go from the SCSI 2 port to SCSI 1
devices.

Finally, does anyone have any experience, or any clues even, with using
third-party multisyncing color monitors with the NeXT.  I would like
to get a cheap (relative to NeXT's prices) color monitor to use with
a monochrome cube initially, and then have the same monitor work with
the NeXTdimension board.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt Marko
kmarko@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (10/30/90)

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:

>as I like the idea of the "seamless integration of the MacOS and UNIX"
>under A/UX, A/UX 2.0 has to be the flakiest and most fragile UNIX
>implementation I've seen. But I'd like to know whether I can at least
You probably haven't played with AIX on one of the new IBM RS6000s.
AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! 	:-(

Rick Fanta 	PAR Technologies
		richf@adiron.UUCP

"... She said that she was working for the ABC news,
     it was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use ..."
	- Elvis Costello