[net.auto] Sad Story about Torquing Wheel Bolt

pangrle@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/12/85)

>In article <1484@vax3.fluke.UUCP> gnosis@fluke.UUCP (Chris Villani) writes:
>>newly hired 'mechanic' remounted the wheels (alloy rims by the
>>way).  Some where he got the notion that the wheel bolts needed
>>to be "torqued down".  He did so with all the force the shops
>>impact wrench could muster.  A job well done he thought.
>
>I said I use a torque wrench on my lug nuts. That means they get put
>on with a torque of exactly 45 foot-lbs. The reason I, and probably
>most mechanics, use a torque wrench is to AVOID over-tightening lug
>nuts. You don't need special equipment to act like a gorilla.
>
>Do I also have to explain that to tighten the nuts you turn clockwise
>and to loosen them you turn counter-clockwise? Cripes! (please, no
>jokes about digital watches. freshmen, please restrain yourselves.)

Better yet; dont explain that to tighten the nuts you turn them cw and to
loosen them ccw because that is not always the case.  Even better; check
a manual for the vehicle you're working on first.

Barry Pangrle
UIUC