[net.followup] AIDs is not spread by saliva

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (08/21/85)

In article <6592@ucla-cs.ARPA> scw@ucla-cs.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) writes:
>In article <314@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>> We've had antibiotics [...] AIDS - How would you like to see an AIDS virus
>>> that DOES spread like the common cold?  Or a rabies virus? ...
>
>It does spread like rabies (exchange of bodily fluids [saliva in this case]).

Uh, hold it.  It is not proven that AIDs can be spread by saliva.  It has
been shown only that a virus which is suspected to cause AIDs has been found
in saliva.  That's quite a different thing.

[generic disclaimer.  Specific disclaimer: I'm not a medicine man.  I'm just
an avid reader.] {"Dammit Jim, I'm an actor, not a doctor."}

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (08/26/85)

(David Schachter) david@daisy.UUCP in article <191@tekig5.UUCP> answers:
> Uh, hold it.  It is not proven that AIDs can be spread by saliva.  It has
> been shown only that a virus which is suspected to cause AIDs has been found
> in saliva.  That's quite a different thing.

A problem with AIDS is that prior to detection the health of the infected
individual deteriorates in a non-consistent manner,  more colds, fevers..etc.
and one of the problems is gum disease.  This usually involves micro bleeding
and allows the blood borne virus to freely inhabit the mouth.  In such a case,
any time the live virus is exchanged mouth to mouth, infection is PROBABLE.
An ordinary kiss of the "peak on the cheek or lip to lip" variety is unlikely
to spread the disease provided the skin isn't broken by a scratch or
inflamed pore.

The habit of licking ones lips should be avoided.  Good Luck!