[comp.sys.next] forwarded posting: next vs. amiga

ajb@cs.brown.edu (Atul Butte) (11/01/90)

Forwarded posting from Jonathan.Kruger@uc780.umd.edu

Greetings,

I am really getting tired of people arguing about the NeXT and
the Mac.  I would like to suggest a more interesting line of
discussion, specifically:

   How does the NeXT stack up against the Amiga?

I know that there are a lot of people that have about $4000 to
spend on a personal system, and are REALLY at a loss about
which machine to invest in.

I saw someone ask this question a few weeks back, but I never
saw any response...  Please direct your responses to the list,
as I'd like to see it bounce back and forth for a while...
Thanks for any useful information that you can provide.

KRUGERJ@UC780.bitnet (preferred)
Jonathan.Kruger@uc780.umd.edu

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (11/01/90)

In article <54976@brunix.UUCP> Jonathan.Kruger@UC780.UMD.EDU writes:

>   How does the NeXT stack up against the Amiga?

I'd rather run them side-by-side than stack them, as they're really
quite different machines, each having its own niche. I think, in its
price range, the Amiga is the most sophisticated, programmer-friendly
machine currently available (and I'm running an old A1000). It has many
of the features one expects to find in `real' machines, without the
massive OS overhead. On the other hand, I don't think the Amiga can
hold a candle to the NeXT's work and development environments. Maybe
things have changed with the new A3000, though.

--
Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "You know - when I talk to people, I try to
Academic Computing Center	|  look more intelligent than I actually am.

In article <54976@brunix.UUCP> Jonathan.Kruger@UC780.UMD.EDU writes:
>Forwarded posting from Jonathan.Kruger@uc780.umd.edu

>Greetings,
>
>I am really getting tired of people arguing about the NeXT and
>the Mac.  I would like to suggest a more interesting line of
>discussion, specifically:
>
>   How does the NeXT stack up against the Amiga?

	I've been asking myself that a lot as well. I bought my
Amiga 3000 back when it first came out, in early July. The NeXT
is the first time I have ever questioned my decision to 'love'
the Amiga. I think the NeXT is the best thing on the market, in
general. Obviously some people will prefer the Amiga for some
things, NeXT for others. The Amiga, now with the Video Toaster,
is the best micro/home/PC/whatever computer for video work, for
example.
	What impressed me most about the NeXT is not the
interface, I like the 2.0 interface on my Amiga as much and you
get tired of interfaces after looking at them for a month anyway.
It was Improv and the Application Builder that impressed me most.
And with a 68040 the speed is finally there, although my A3000
with 030 has an interface feel which is faster.
	Of course, it is the price which is the most attractive
things about it.
	Yet the price is what bothers me. I don't think that NeXT
can sell enough of them to EVER make a profit. Now, I've heard
all the arguments about how rich Steven Jobs is etc. etc. However
if NeXT doesn't turn a profit he'll find his corporate support
dwindle down to nothing. He'll be left continuously keeping NeXT
afloat with his personal money. This is what worries me. Steven
Jobs may be committed to his dream to improve the quality of
computing, but he will also have to be committed if he spends his
entire life savings!
	In the end, I like the new NeXTs a lot. I still don't
think they'll be as enjoyable as my Amiga. We have all sorts of
pretty animations/pictures that probably won't be duplicated very
soon, except on the NeXT with 32 bit color accelerator. Also,
most of the things that make the next so nice, including lotus
and mathematica and word perfect/write now require a laser
printer to really enjoy, something I couldn't afford.
	Also, there are currently 2,000,000 Amigas world wide (or
pretty damned close). There certainly will be 2M after christmas.
I see support for the Amiga growing, and a lot of new devices out
on the horizon.
	But I must tip my hat to NeXT. They have an excellent
machine at an excellent price with excellent software.
	I must admit, though, how frustrating it is that Lotus
will commit to making Improv for a machine with a user based of
appr. 10,000 and not for a machine with a user base of appr.
2,000,000!  8(
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (11/01/90)

ajb@cs.brown.edu (Atul Butte) writes:

>Forwarded posting from Jonathan.Kruger@uc780.umd.edu

>Greetings,

>I am really getting tired of people arguing about the NeXT and
>the Mac.  I would like to suggest a more interesting line of
>discussion, specifically:

>   How does the NeXT stack up against the Amiga?

>I know that there are a lot of people that have about $4000 to
>spend on a personal system, and are REALLY at a loss about
>which machine to invest in.

>I saw someone ask this question a few weeks back, but I never
>saw any response...  Please direct your responses to the list,
>as I'd like to see it bounce back and forth for a while...
>Thanks for any useful information that you can provide.

>KRUGERJ@UC780.bitnet (preferred)
>Jonathan.Kruger@uc780.umd.edu

	Yes, the NeXT and AMIGA are closer cousins.  I went with the
A3000/16 (16mhz) and will later upgrade to the 68040 with clock (so the
entire system will go at 25mhz - there is no difference between the
16 and 25 models).  Both machines have a great looking GUI and true
multitasking (both are effective MAC killers, as someone mentioned
somewhere :)
	I come from an IBM background (sorry) and so I had to really
study all the options (MAC was eliminated VERY early).  I will eat
the 16mhz performance until the 68040 comes along.  That was the first
hurtle (and saves a lot of $$ needed now).
	I've mentioned in various places that expandability is a safe
thing to have, and that is a strike against the pizzaboxes.  This includes
color.  Although the A3000 is not deinterlaced at the high level, there
are rock-steady high productivity resolutions and all machines come with
color.  You really need a bus unless you are linked onto a net (which
is my guess why the NeXTStatons come with an ethernet card...THIN wired
only??).
	I also can't afford what UNIX wants.  Memory and disk space.
Much memory.  Much diskspace.  The AMIGA OS2.0 has far less demands than
UNIX and still has nice things such as a unix-like cli.
	Another big issue is software.  Amiga has incredible amounts of
PD software.  It also has wonderful professional graphics packages.  All
software, except the top of the line work, is affordable (I mean, Amiga
is reaching UP, not DOWN, so the affordable software base is there).

	Want and afford UNIX, study the NeXT.  Want an AMIGA? Good.
The NeXT and Amiga are both great machines, but skewed to different markets.
I do know about NeXTDimension, but you need a bus for this right? Anyway
for my tastes, I want the AMIGA for my personal use.

Will I get flammed for this?  Well, slap a big IMHO for the NeXT and AMIGA
evangelists who will tear this up.

So long,
Doug

--
Doug Dyer  Clemson University   //      "Splunge!"  -  MP