[comp.sys.next] rdump problem

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (11/01/90)

I'm trying to do an rdump to a BSD4.3 system using the following command:

rdump 0sdf 2300 6250 sys:/dev/rmt8

The dump works fine until you get to the 2nd tape.  It doesn't wait for
you to put on a new one and starts overwriting the first one.  Has NeXT or
anyone have a fix for this?

--
     Peter Schmitt					UNIX/VMS Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center				Computing  Services

pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (11/01/90)

In article <25453@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I'm trying to do an rdump to a BSD4.3 system using the following command:
>
>rdump 0sdf 2300 6250 sys:/dev/rmt8
>
>The dump works fine until you get to the 2nd tape.  It doesn't wait for
>you to put on a new one and starts overwriting the first one.  Has NeXT or
>anyone have a fix for this?

Not a fix, but a workaround.  I keep ours backed-up to a Sun-3/280 w/ 1/2"
mag tape thusly:

rdump 0udsf 2300 backup@server:/dev/nrmt8 /dev/rsd0a

	NB -- the no-rewind device

rdump will not wait for a reply.  It will continue the dump at the end of the
tape, run past EOT and give an error message and ask "Do you want to restart?"
(or somesuch).  Answer "yes".

Mount the new tape.

Answer the "Is new tape mounted and ready?" (or somesuch) message with a "yes".
The dump will continue.

WHAT YOU WON'T DISCOVER UNTIL rrestore TIME:

	THE 2ND, 3RD, ETC. TAPES START WITH AN EMPTY FILE (an eof mark)!
	(rrestore says "not a dump tape", scared the hell out me
	 the first time it happened.)

When you go to restore from one of these multi-tape dumps, after you mount
the 2nd, 3rd, etc. tape do a 'mt -f /dev/nrmt8 fsf 1' on the tape host
to get past the empty file before you tell rrestore on the NeXT that the
tape is mounted and ready.

Also, after making the dump, you should doctor all but the last tape.
They will NOT have an EOT mark before the physical EOT.  This can drive
tape utilities (tcopy, dd, whatever) bananas.

Tape 1: load it
       mt -f /dev/nrmt8 fsf 1
       mt -f /dev/nrmt8 eof
        unload it

Tape 2, 3, ..., but not the last one:
        load it
       mt -f /dev/nrmt8 fsf 2 (once for the empty file, and once for the dump)
       mt -f /dev/nrmt8 eof
        unload it

		SUMMARY:

All but the last tape run off physical EOT.
All but the first tape start with an empty file.

Good luck.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu		DoD 000006
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-737-3251