[comp.sys.next] Multi-Processing?

gerst@ecs.umass.edu (11/01/90)

From: lloyd@ucs.umass.edu (Chris Lloyd)
Subject: Multi-Processing...

Hi, now that I've plunked down my money for an old cube I have some
questions about the '040 upgrade.

Is the '040 upgrade a whole new CPU board, with all the VLSI, DSP etc?

Does the '030 get salvaged at all when the '040 is added?

If the '030 is not salvaged, can I keep it in the system for better for
performance? Mach is multi-processing but I have heard nil about people
using more than one processor in a NeXT.

How tightly coupled would such a system be? does it load balance?
 How configurable is such a system? can I selectively run processes
 on a single processor?

Does anyone have any experience with a multi-processor NeXT?

Any other relevant information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
 Chris Lloyd - lloyd@ucs.umass.edu    (vibrating with anticipation)