[comp.sys.next] Macintosh Fonts

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (11/01/90)

I remember some discussion on this in the past, but I didn't need the
info at the time.

We have some Type 1 fonts for a Macintosh.  We'd like to install them
on a NeXT.  How is it done?

You needn't be very specific; I'm pretty handy in both environments.

Thanks
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.181751.27859@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>We have some Type 1 fonts for a Macintosh.  We'd like to install them
>on a NeXT.  How is it done?

1. Convert the 'LWFN' files from Macintosh downloadable font format to
   plain 'TEXT' files.  There is a PD program to do this called "unAdobe,"
   and Adobe has a tech note that describes both the Mac & PC formats
   themselves in case you need to code something up from scratch.

2. Place this resulting text file in /LocalLibrary/Fonts/outline, with the
   full PostScript name of the font as the file name.

3. Place a copy of the AFM file in /LocalLibrary/Fonts/afm.

4. Issue the command 'buildafmdir /LocalLibrary/Fonts' to update the index.

Note: you can also put files in ~/Fonts as well as /LocalLibrary/Fonts, but
they will then only be accessible to you.

If you are really twisted, you can also write a program to convert Mac
screen fonts to BDF files and install them as screen fonts, but I've found
this to be too much trouble :).
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (11/02/90)

On 31-Oct-90 in Re: Macintosh Fonts
user Amanda Walker@visix.com writes:
>If you are really twisted, you can also write a program to convert Mac
>screen fonts to BDF files and install them as screen fonts, but I've found
>this to be too much trouble :).

How can one do this?  I've found that some of the fonts I installed on
the NeXT from Mac are of an unacceptable quality at small sizes.  I
therfore would like to convert the Mac screen font to a NeXT bitmap
font..

Len Schultz