[comp.sys.next] How do I make a font?

telfeyan@caen.engin.umich.edu (Roland Telfeyan) (11/01/90)

Could someone at NeXT or Adobe or wherever please tell me how to make a
font for the NeXT?  I asked questions of ask_next@next.com, and got no
satisfaction.  Is it practical to hand-code the thing?

I have called Altsys, and they say that Fontographer outputs type 3 font
files but that the NeXT needs type 1.  Altsys said that their new
version of Fontographer (3.1) will output type 1 fonts but that NeXT's
type 1 isn't standard--they're having trouble with the high 128
characters.

Is there any wise sage out there who can direct someone in need of
making fonts for Armenian, Arabic, Greek, etc?

Thank you very much!

Roland

Roland Telfeyan                                       roland@cpat.umich.edu
Music Theory                                           telf@ub.cc.umich.edu
University of Michigan         1685 Broadway #202, Ann Arbor, MI 48105-1861

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.191027.11276@engin.umich.edu> telfeyan@caen.engin.umich.edu (Roland Telfeyan) writes:
>Could someone at NeXT or Adobe or wherever please tell me how to make a
>font for the NeXT?  I asked questions of ask_next@next.com, and got no
>satisfaction.  Is it practical to hand-code the thing?

Somewhat practical, although you're probably better off with an application.

>I have called Altsys, and they say that Fontographer outputs type 3 font
>files but that the NeXT needs type 1.  Altsys said that their new
>version of Fontographer (3.1) will output type 1 fonts but that NeXT's
>type 1 isn't standard--they're having trouble with the high 128
>characters.

This is a bit of misinformation from the people at Altsys.  The NeXT works
fine with Type 3 fonts, but not those generated by the current version
of Fontographer because of some funny things they do with memory management.
They can be modified to work on the NeXT, though; I've done it.

It's also not true that NeXT's type 1 isn't standard; it's Adobe PostScript,
which is the standard for type 1 fonts (by definition).

It is true that Fontographer fonts don't work quite right on the NeXT, but
the fault is more theirs than NeXT's.

/Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software