[net.auto] BLACK CARS

kena@ihu1m.UUCP (k.h. abshier) (10/08/85)

I have a 1979 Camaro Z28 with 18k miles on it.  I am the original owner
and only drive on sunny afternoons.  I love a black car when it is clean
but I have swirl marks in my finish that I can get out.  I have seen
black cars that have absolutely no swirls in them at all.  Does anyone
have suggestions on how to remove these marks from the car?
thanks for any ideas.
:wq

nowicki@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/09/85)

;;

After  power  buffing  and sometimes waxing, I go over the car with a glaze,
this is intended to remove swirl marks.  I have seen several  products  that
perform  about  the  same.    Some  include  a  pink  liquid  put out by the
"cargroom" line.  Or there is the  black  "Liquid  Ebony".    I  think  that
Dietzler  also has such I product.  I have been most satisfied with dietzler
products like paint, and buffing compounds so they might be  a  good  choice
for the glaze but you often have to buy in rather large containers.

-Tony

scarter@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Stephen M. Carter) (10/12/85)

In article <710@ihu1m.UUCP> kena@ihu1m.UUCP (k.h. abshier) writes:

>but I have swirl marks in my finish that I can get out.  I have seen
>black cars that have absolutely no swirls in them at all.  Does anyone
>have suggestions on how to remove these marks from the car?

I have had some nice results with a product from 3m.  It is called "Fill
'n glaze" and comes in two types, one for hand buffing ("pink label") and
another for machine buffing (i forget the color). Around here, I have only
seen it in auto-body supply houses and prices range from $6-$14 a qt depending
on how well you know the owner...

However, if you kept your car out of those automatic car washs, I bet you
would not need it ! ;-)

-SCarter
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!scarter
arpa:   SCARTER@RUTGERS or SCARTER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU