[comp.sys.next] Incorrect interpretation of "RETURN" key from TIP

pat@happym.wa.com (Patrick Tate) (11/01/90)

We linked a NeXT cube to a Motorola system via modems. The terminal emulation
on the Next is TIP.

The problem we are seeing is that the shell running on the Motorola system
will not interpret the "RETURN KEY" from the NeXT terminal as a signal to
execute the entered command. We can force the execution by sending out a cntl-J
and are then are able to login and execute commands on the Motorola system. We
can type return then cntl-J and see that the shell is attempting to execute
the cntl-M entered by hitting return.

It seems that the key might be in the setting of the stty parameters, but
still are unable to get the correct interpretation of the return key.

If someone has some thoughts or solutions please respond via mail at
pat@happym.wa.com or phone 206/463-9399 ext 112.  Thanx in advance.
--
 Patrick Tate            pat@happym.wa.com              206/463-9399 ext.112
 Happy Man Corp.   4410 SW Pt. Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (11/02/90)

In <1124@happym.wa.com> pat@happym.wa.com (Patrick Tate) writes:

>The problem we are seeing is that the shell running on the Motorola system
>will not interpret the "RETURN KEY" from the NeXT terminal as a signal to
>execute the entered command. We can force the execution by sending out a cntl-J
>and are then are able to login and execute commands on the Motorola system. We
>can type return then cntl-J and see that the shell is attempting to execute
>the cntl-M entered by hitting return.

We got the solution with help from NeXT technical support.  The problem was
that outgoing characters from both tip and uucico were being generated with
parity bits.  These are the tricks to turning off parity:

For tip, insert the following additional parameter into /etc/remote for the
line being used --
 pa=none
(This will be delimited with : like the other parameters.)

For uucico, insert the following fragment into the chat script at its
beginning, right after ABORT BUSY if you use that --
 "" P_ZERO

I hope this saves someone else some trouble.

Thank you, readers who tried to help Pat by mail, and thank you, NeXT, for
providing the solution that worked.
--
 Irving Wolfe    Happy Man Corp.   irv@happym.wa.com    206/463-9399 ext.101
 4410 SW Point Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399     fax ext.116