[comp.sys.next] got rn

banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) (11/03/90)

Thanks to everybody who offered suggestions about getting the
postnews part of rrn up and running.  Here is a summary of
the fix that worked:

nntp 1.5.9
rn from lib.tmc.edu	(~10/25/90)

In addition to the standard rn "Configure" installation,
with some careful study of the config.h file to confirm
that files and directories are correctly specified,I had
to do two other things to get (rn2) rrn working:

1)  take out -O (optimization) from cc in the Makefile
(fixed the "interp buffer overflow problem...")

2)  fix the "Pnews" script (?) so that it found "inews" in the right
place (where nntp installed /usr/local/bin/inews) rather
than /usr/news/inews, where it was looking.

3)  when I tested Pnews then, it still doesn't find/usr/news/moderators,
but I think that it then automatically
(as rrn) looks to the server machine for this file.

4)  i then successfully posted to our local uiuc.tst!!!

Bradley T Banko
Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute

In article <1990Nov2.232153.11641@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
	banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) writes:
>1)  take out -O (optimization) from cc in the Makefile
>(fixed the "interp buffer overflow problem...")

Just compile intrp.c separately.  Nothing else breaks with -O.

>2)  fix the "Pnews" script (?) so that it found "inews" in the right
>place (where nntp installed /usr/local/bin/inews) rather
>than /usr/news/inews, where it was looking.

No, nntp got it wrong.  inews isn't something you want in the
usual path ("maybe" rnews, but not inews--if you're running as
rrn you won't have rnews).  In any case, the convention is to
use /usr/lib/news (/usr/news is reserved for a facility BSD
removed from their UNIX and replaced with "msgs").

					-=EPS=-
--
When someone says "news" ... are they talking about news, Network
News, NeWS, or NEWS?  No wonder you're confused...