[comp.sys.next] The Sound of E-Mail

jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon) (11/02/90)

When you're sitting all alone in your quiet laboratory or office late
at night and you hear that little scraping noise like a frisky mouse
quitely munching on your hardisk inside of the cube and you
recognize the noise...  Isn't it a comforting thing to hear your mail
coming?  And your little envelope suddenly starts to fan like it was
waving at you.  Golly I wonder if the latest hardisks are any quieter
because by the sound of that disk, I can practically tell what my NeXT
is thinking.  Perhaps the future will hold subtly vibrating chairs,
multicolored hues gleaming brighter and dimmer, and almost
imperceptible sounds as clues to give us a feeling for the life-signs of
our processes and our extended distributed searches, client and server
actions over our vast network of personal connections potentially
spanning the globe.  But what if the disk is quieter?  Let us be
not oblivious to the undercurrents of our minds eyes.

--
--.\/.--..../----------------------------------\  James Bennett Saxon.........
| O|..| O|../ "I ought to join the club and beat \ Scientific Vis. Laboratory..
--....--../ you over the head with it." G. Marx / Texas A&M University........
..\__/...<-------------------------------------/  jsaxon@cssun.tamu.edu.......

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (11/03/90)

jsaxon@cs.tamu.edu (James B Saxon) writes:

> When you're sitting all alone in your quiet laboratory or office late
> at night and you hear that little scraping noise like a frisky mouse
> quitely munching on your hardisk...

I just put mine in a closet next to my desk.  :-)

cjs
curt@cynic.UUCP                     Vancouver, B.C., Canada
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca             BBS: +1 604 687 6736 (2400 bps)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt    (anonymous uucp available, mail for info)