[comp.sys.next] Standalone NeXT attatch to Internet?

vehaag@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Viktor Haag) (11/03/90)

Hello.  I am pretty much a UNIX and Networking neophyte, with a question
spawned from curiosity.  Suppose I buy a nice NeXT CUBE as a standalone,
personal computer.  I place said cube in my den at home, across the city
from my University.

I wish to finagle things so that my Cube can act as a site for me and friends,
so that they can send and receive email on the net, read news on the net, and
generally act as if they have accounts on a site on the Net (is that the right
way to put it?).  What hardware/software must be bought on top of the cube
in order to turn my cube into an Internet 'node' (again I am unsure of the
terminology or procedure used here, but you get the idea 8-))?

What are the pricetags, caveats, pro's, cons?  Are there any other alternatives
other than finagling a University account to use, Public Access account to use
etc?

Sorry for a question which may seem awful trivial and ignorant to you all,
I will happily accept answers by email to avoid clots here.

vik

--
	"We murder to dissect"
		Wordsworth

curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) (11/03/90)

vehaag@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Viktor Haag) writes:

> I wish to finagle things so that my Cube can act as a site for me and friends
> so that they can send and receive email on the net, read news on the net, and
> generally act as if they have accounts on a site on the Net...

I run a BBS called Waffle on my IBM PC.  It's available in a NeXT
version as well.  If you want to have a way to let people log in to
your system and read and send news and mail without letting them into
the rather unsecure guts of UNIX it works quite well.  If you don't
mind letting your friends on to the "real" system (i.e., you trust
them) then why don't you just give each of them an account and set up
a UUCP link with somebody in your neighbourhood?  Just think of it as
a regular 'ol UNIX box.

cjs
curt@cynic.UUCP                     Vancouver, B.C., Canada
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca             BBS: +1 604 687 6736 (2400 bps)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt    (anonymous uucp available, mail for info)

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (11/04/90)

In article <uVP2R2w163w@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson) writes:
>mind letting your friends on to the "real" system (i.e., you trust
>them) then why don't you just give each of them an account and set up

I think what he ment is a site that has a direct line to that university.
If that is the case, try renting a phone line (probably expensive). You
should probably talk to a senior SA or NA down at the University.