[comp.sys.next] What happened with lpd problems?

silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) (11/04/90)

It seems to me that, within the last month, there were two posters here
who were having problems with lpd, the print-spooler daemon.  I had a
brief correspondence with one (maybe both?) of the posters on this, since
I was once having a similar problem last February.  However, whatever
suggestions I could make were not very useful to the fellow at the time --
his troubles weren't so easily cured/worked around as mine.  Besides, I
didn't really remember all that well what I did/had to do to cure the
problem.

I don't recall seeing any followup that said what the troubles actually
were and how (or if) the posters were able to get out of them.  What did
happen?

The reason I am reminded of this is because, all of a sudden last Tuesday,
I too could no longer print anything with lpr from a shell.  (No problems
printing from a menu item in an application.)  This sounds much more like
what the earlier postings were about.

I got my daemon back, finally, on Friday afternoon, after an unpleasantly
long bout of flailing about.  I won't go into any details here. Actually, I
should say "we", since I had an hour and a half of invaluable help from Joe
Klecska here at this Lab, which is what broke the problem.  Basically, what (I
think) cured it all was completely deleting my /usr/spool directory on my hard
disk and re- reading it in from the OS 1.0 optical disk.  (Followed by fixing
up all the spool subdirectories for "local, special" printers.)

The problem with this solution is I still don't know HOW my spool directory
got corrupted (locked-up?) and how this can be avoided in the future.

Does anybody have any useful insights?

   Dick Silbar  (NeXT mail: silbar@whistler.lanl.gov)

yyeap@ub.d.umn.edu (Yeap Yuen Pin) (11/05/90)

In article <4934@lanl.gov> silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) writes:
>It seems to me that, within the last month, there were two posters here
>who were having problems with lpd, the print-spooler daemon.  I had a
>brief correspondence with one (maybe both?) of the posters on this, since

That was me.  Thanks for the help.

>I don't recall seeing any followup that said what the troubles actually
>were and how (or if) the posters were able to get out of them.  What did
>happen?
Well, I still can't print from the shell.  I tried to resemble our printcap
file as much as yours but it still didn't work.  I still get the unknown
printer problem in "lf" file and can't start daemon message on the screen.
If I delete /dev/printer, kill and restart lpd manually, all the jobs that
stuck in the queue will get flush.  But this is something you don't want to
do it all the time :-). Following is the error messages I got if I tried to
start or stop the daemon from lpc:

edsel.d.umn.edu# lpc
lpc> start Local_Printer
Local_Printer:
	couldn't start daemon
lpc> stop Local_Printer
Local_Printer:
	cannot create lock file
lpc> status
Local_Printer:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	no entries
	no daemon present
next:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	no entries
	no daemon present
mwah1:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	no entries
	no daemon present
lpc>

>The reason I am reminded of this is because, all of a sudden last Tuesday,
>I too could no longer print anything with lpr from a shell.  (No problems
>printing from a menu item in an application.)  This sounds much more like
>what the earlier postings were about.

Exactly.

>Klecska here at this Lab, which is what broke the problem.  Basically, what (I
>think) cured it all was completely deleting my /usr/spool directory on my hard
>disk and re- reading it in from the OS 1.0 optical disk.  (Followed by fixing
>up all the spool subdirectories for "local, special" printers.)

That's interesting.  I will try that later (I am kind of busy now).

>The problem with this solution is I still don't know HOW my spool directory
>got corrupted (locked-up?) and how this can be avoided in the future.
>
>Does anybody have any useful insights?

If anyone does, PLEASE TELL me!  BTW, does this have anything to do with the
fact that we configure the machine to run in non-netinfo and yp network?

>   Dick Silbar  (NeXT mail: silbar@whistler.lanl.gov)

Yeap Yuen Pin				Internet: yyeap@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services.			Bitnet: yyeap@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth