[comp.sys.next] troff

john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (11/04/90)

whenever I try to use troff, it always reports 'typesetter busy'.  There
is no one else on the system.  Any ideas?

							john

--
|  John R. Schutz             | Internet&NeXTmail: john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu |
|  Center for Space Research  | Standard Disclaimer    |  "I'm mentally       |

In article <john.657673092@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu>
	john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) writes:
>whenever I try to use troff, it always reports 'typesetter busy'.  There
>is no one else on the system.  Any ideas?

troff on the NeXT is the "old" C/A/T troff (as opposed to DWB or
ditroff).  troff with no options looks for /dev/cat, which, of
course, it doesn't find.  Hence, troff is only useful with either
the -t (C/A/T codes to stdout) or -a (ASCII trace) options.  The
error message, while confusing, is one of the few remaining
vestiges of "traditional" UNIX, and worthy of historical
preservation.

More likely, what you really wanted was ptroff, which is part of
the bundled Adobe TRANSCRIPT package.  ptroff with no options
outputs to the NeXT laser printer.  With the -t option, it
outputs PostScript to stdout, which you can redirect to a disk
file and examine with the Preview application.

					-=EPS=-

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (11/05/90)

In article <john.657673092@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu>
john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) writes:

> whenever I try to use troff, it always reports 'typesetter busy'.  There
> is no one else on the system.  Any ideas?

By default, troff tries to use the C/A/T typesetter which was once
attached to some Unix machine at Bell Labs.  If you use "troff -t", the
C/A/T typecodes are written to standard output, which is somewhat more
useful but still not very handy.  However, if you use
"troff -t ... | pscat" or "troff -t ... | pscat -x72" (you'll have to
experiment to see which works), you'll get Postscript written to stdout.
Pipe that into lpr, and you'll get nice results.

There are also some scripts which do this, named "ptroff" and "psroff".
One works on the Next, the other doesn't.  Both take switches just
like troff and put the output to the printer (well, they would if they
both worked).  The method taken from the paragraph above is from one
of my makefiles and is thus guaranteed to work.  (Terms of guarantee:
if I'm wrong, I'll send you a piece of stale Halloween candy :-)
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff