[comp.sys.next] NeXT vs. Mac ETC!

eboltz@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu (Eric S. Boltz) (10/29/90)

Let's drop the Mac vs. NeXT debate and embark on an equally intelligent one...

Personally, having used both, I must say that phillips screwdrivers are much
better than flathead screwdrivers.

There is no one tool that is best for every job, just
different tools for different jobs.

bye.
--
Eric S. Boltz
The Johns Hopkins University

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (10/30/90)

Personally, I wouldn't touch a phillips screwdriver or a regular screwdriver
with a 20 foot (6 meter) pole. I just use a hammer and chisel or a set of
boltcutters, depending on the application.

:-) :-) :-)

The preceding is another fine product of the twisted mind of

		 wirehead@oxy.edu

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/31/90)

A NeXT is to a mac as a nuclear explosive is to a rubber hammer.

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (10/31/90)

In article <9687@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu
(Chuck Herrick) writes:
>A NeXT is to a mac as a nuclear explosive is to a rubber hammer.

Nah, more like a steel hammer.  It'll pound a few more things, but it's still
just a hammer.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/31/90)

------
In article <ts101ly0sa@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes...

>In article <9687@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu
>(Chuck Herrick) writes:
>>A NeXT is to a mac as a nuclear explosive is to a rubber hammer.
>
>Nah, more like a steel hammer.  It'll pound a few more things, but it's still
>just a hammer.

Oh, I liked the first one: the Next is to the Mac as a large destructive event
is to a useful tool. :->

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (10/31/90)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>>>A NeXT is to a mac as a nuclear explosive is to a rubber hammer.
>>Nah, more like a steel hammer.  It'll pound a few more things, but it's still
>>just a hammer.
>Oh, I liked the first one: the Next is to the Mac as a large destructive event
>is to a useful tool. :->

for (i=0; ;i++)
  printf ("Is not is not!  Is too is too!\n");

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!

PLEASE, let it die folks.

(OK, I'll admit it was amusing ...)

Rick Fanta 	PAR Technologies (richf@adiron.UUCP)

"... She said that she was working for the ABC news,
     it was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use ..."
	- Elvis Costello

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct30.221426.1235@midway.uchicago.edu>
gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Oh, I liked the first one: the Next is to the Mac as a large destructive event
>is to a useful tool. :->

Giggle.  I hadn't thought of it that way--you may have a point.

On a more serious note, though...

So far, I'd just say that the NeXT and the Mac are good for different
things.  I'm glad we have both around, but I think it's silly to compare,
uh, apples and oranges. :).

It's like asking which is better, a pickup or a car.  The only accurate
answer is "yes."
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
I am the Imp of the Perverse (knowing this won't help you, either).

tim@ecmath.UUCP (Tim McLarnan) (11/01/90)

In article <9687@helios.TAMU.EDU>, cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
> A NeXT is to a mac as a nuclear explosive is to a rubber hammer.

That is, as your worst nightmare is to a useful device? :-) :-) :-)

Tim McLarnan, Math Dept., Earlham College  tim@math.earlham.edu

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (11/03/90)

>Nah, more like a steel hammer.  It'll pound a few more things, but it's still
>just a hammer.

This from a company who wants hundreds of dollars for a half-baked
imitation of the Mac finder and that spent 16 million in venture
capital to build it. Give me a break.

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (11/06/90)

In article <335@autodesk.UUCP> glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) writes:
>This from a company who wants hundreds of dollars for a half-baked
>imitation of the Mac finder and that spent 16 million in venture
>capital to build it. Give me a break.

Excuse me <raised eyebrow>?  This hardly seems the place for such
comments...

I'd be happy to discuss and/or defend our products with anyone who is
interested, but at least I don't embarass myself in public.  If you're
going to insult someone or something, it helps to know who and what you
are insulting first :)...

You have my email address,
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
"I think I'll go sack Tyre."	--Judith Tarr