[comp.sys.next] NeXT as a fileserver for IBM?

keithp@xeno.tamu.edu (Keith D Perkins) (11/06/90)

I'm thinking of putting in a network of IBMs hooked into a NeXT. I'd
like the IBMs to see the NeXT over the network as just a large
hard drive. Is there any way to make the IBM do this. The NeXT
looks like the perfect machine for a fileserver, I'm just not
sure the IBMs are up to it.

Thanks in advance!
Keith Perkins
Texas A&M University

pemurray@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) (11/07/90)

In article <9840@helios.TAMU.EDU>, keithp@xeno.tamu.edu (Keith D Perkins) writes:
> I'm thinking of putting in a network of IBMs hooked into a NeXT. I'd
> like the IBMs to see the NeXT over the network as just a large
> hard drive. Is there any way to make the IBM do this. The NeXT
> looks like the perfect machine for a fileserver, I'm just not
> sure the IBMs are up to it.

We do something similar with our lab of IBMs.  We have approx. 60 IBM PCs
using a DEC MicroVAX running Ultrix as a fileserver using PC-NFS available
from SUN.  NeXT uses NFS, so I don't see a problem.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #3:             pemurray@miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall        csh> sleep with me       pmurray@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu

rheiger@chvax.uucp (Eiger Richard) (11/07/90)

In article <9840@helios.TAMU.EDU> keithp@xeno.tamu.edu (Keith D Perkins) writes:
>I'm thinking of putting in a network of IBMs hooked into a NeXT. I'd
>like the IBMs to see the NeXT over the network as just a large
>hard drive. Is there any way to make the IBM do this. The NeXT
>looks like the perfect machine for a fileserver, I'm just not
>sure the IBMs are up to it.

What IBMs are you talking about? If you mean PCs, I suggest you look
into a product called PC/TCP Plus from FTP Software, Inc. (Wakefield,
MA). It supplies you with TCP/IP software (FTP, Telnet etc.) and there
is NFS available as well. A friend of mine is using this to share data
with me on my NeXT and more nice stuff the like.

If you're talking about IBM 6000s, I would assume they come with support
for NFS already.

Hope this helps.
	Richard