[comp.sys.next] NeXTcube won't boot up

tempest@walleye.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (11/07/90)

Hello,
	We have a NeXTcube that doesn't want to boot up.  Before this
problem came up, we were in the process of changing its internet
address and name with NetManager.  Upon saving the information,
the cube informed me that it was going to reboot; I replied OK,
and that was when the problem started.  At first, I couldn't get
the login dialog.  I went into the monitor via Command-~ and did
a reboot and got the login dialog; however, the Workspace never
came up.  Subsequent reboots resulted from the no login after
dialog box to the hard disk not recognized.  I was able to get
into single-user mode; however.  I've contacted NeXT technical
support and our local rep, who referred me to someone else--I'm
still awaiting a callback.

	Our ideal configuration for our cube would be for it to run
Yellow Pages so it can talk with our HP9000 series 300s, 850s, and
Sun workstations.

	Any information would be greatly appreciated,
Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov06.221054.14116@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>Hello,
>	We have a NeXTcube that doesn't want to boot up.  Before this

I found out why it wasn't booting reliably--I tweaked the subnet
mask and forgot about it.  Booting in single-user mode and modifying
a file in /etc solved everything.  Now, I've still got to figure out
yellow pages...