[comp.sys.next] NeXT as Server for

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (11/06/90)

>I'm thinking of putting in a network of IBMs hooked into a NeXT. I'd
>like the IBMs to see the NeXT over the network as just a large
>hard drive. Is there any way to make the IBM do this. The NeXT
>looks like the perfect machine for a fileserver, I'm just not
>sure the IBMs are up to it.

I am also looking at this possibility.

From the information that I have gathered, you should use PC-NFS (PC
Network File System) on the MS-DOS machines (works with Windows!) that
access the NeXT; the NeXT OS comes with NFS.  I am still waiting on the
NeXT so I have yet to implement this.

Good Luck!

<Robert Thompson>

In article <3704@vela.acs.oakland.edu> rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu
	(Robert D. Thompson) writes:
>From the information that I have gathered, you should use PC-NFS (PC
>Network File System) on the MS-DOS machines (works with Windows!)

Sun's PC-NFS isn't your only option--you might be much happier
with the client NFS products from Beame & Whiteside and FTP
Software.

Further discussion should go to comp.dcom.lans,
comp.protocols.nfs, and/or comp.protocols.tcp.ibm-pc.

					-=EPS=-