[comp.sys.next] Boycott the Beatles???

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/06/90)

Lotus Improv)
Date:  5 NOV 90 19:00:36
-----

Gee, I wonder if all you anti-Lotus people are going to stop listening to your
Beatle's albums too?

Yep, the Beatles, a.k.a. Apple Corps, are suing Apple Computer over copyright
infringment with the name Apple.  Yep, apparently Mr. Jobs signed a secret
agreement with the Fab Four that Apple could use the Apple name as long as they
don't get involved with music.  Apple Corps maintain that such Apple produces
such as a MIDI interface, sound chips for the Macs, and the Apple CD ROM reader
violate this agreement.

Now they want Apple to either stop their "music-making" or change their name.
Now whatever you think of Apple (and remember, it was Steve who was in charge
at that time), you have to admit that this is fairly bogus.  Either no one --
ever -- can use the word "Apple" in anything remotely connected to music (CD
ROM readers??), or else Apple must stop providing Mac users with useful
products.

Unless you anti-Lotus folk engage in some serious moral-relativism (e.g. "Apple
is bad, so they deserve whatever they get; we only believe in copyright
liberalism with "good" companies"), then I suspect that you will have to
boycott all Beatles records on your shelves.

( * BTW, there is a big :-> :-> :-> implied here. *)

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

galanter@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Philip Galanter) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.011007.8569@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Gee, I wonder if all you anti-Lotus people are going to stop listening to your
>Beatle's albums too?
>
>Yep, the Beatles, a.k.a. Apple Corps, are suing Apple Computer over copyright
>infringment with the name Apple.  Yep, apparently Mr. Jobs signed a secret
>agreement with the Fab Four that Apple could use the Apple name as long as they
>don't get involved with music.  Apple Corps maintain that such Apple produces
>such as a MIDI interface, sound chips for the Macs, and the Apple CD ROM reader
>violate this agreement.
>
>Now they want Apple to either stop their "music-making" or change their name.
>Now whatever you think of Apple (and remember, it was Steve who was in charge
>at that time), you have to admit that this is fairly bogus.  Either no one --
...and details
>( * BTW, there is a big :-> :-> :-> implied here. *)
>Robert

This Apple Corps vrs. Apple Computer Inc. dispute is about trademarks,
not copyrights, (or patents, or trade secrets).  All of these are distinct
types of protection that computer folks should learn about if they are
actually interested in debating this kind of thing.  (Not to imply that
Robert doesn't know the difference...his source of info may have been
in error.)

And it is not at all bogus...

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that a given company must
actively defend its ownership of a given trademark, or it will be lost
in _all_ cases.  So the implication is that if Apple Corps lets Apple
Computer slide because reasonable people understand the difference and
they want to look like nice guys to all the yuppie programmers who seem
to be sensitive about this kind of thing this week (and thats why they
give away their own code and never charge clients, right :^) )...THEN
anyone could come along, record a CD or cassette, and market it under
an Apple-like trademark and be more or less immune to legal penalty.

While Jobs was around Apple had the good sense to go into a trademark
use agreement.  Later (before or after Jobs left?) they broke the
agreement, forcing Apple Corps hand to sue or lose the Apple trademark
to anyone who cares to try to use it.

It seems to me that the crux of this issue is an arrogant disrepect for
the value of other peoples labor on the part of certain programmers.
A good user interface is clearly an expression and of value and as worthy
of copyright as any other form of expression.  If vendors cannot protect
their investment in good interfaces, and good interfaces do cost more to
develop than quick bad ones (time being money and all), then they won't
bother to make the investment, and the world stays ugly.

Phil

Academic Computing & Network Services ~ AppleLink: A42 ~ ~ 627 Dartmouth Place
~ ~Advanced Technology Group Manager ~ galanter@nwu.edu ~ ~ Evanston, IL 60208
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Northwestern University ~ ~CompuServe: 76474,154 ~ fax: 708-491-4548
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Philip Galanter~ ~ ~ NeXT>gambuh.acns.nwu.edu ~ ph: 708-491-4050