[comp.sys.next] Boycott NeXT offerings that include a free copy of Lotus Improv

ramsdell@linus.mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) (10/18/90)

Enclosed are some corrections to my initial plead, and pointers to
well thought out papers on the issue of interface copyrights.

Lotus is trying to make it illegal to write software even partially
compatible in its behavior with existing software.  If you write a
program that does a similar job, they will sue you.  The threat is
real; Lotus is currently suing Borland over Quattro not because it
implements the same interface, but because you can customize the
interface to emulate Lotus 1-2-3!

By distributing promotional copies of Lotus Improv, NeXT Inc. is
aiding and abiding a company that, in my opinion, engages in
monopolistic practices.  I urge you to refuse to buy NeXT offerings
that include a free copy of Lotus Improv.  In practice, this means
simply waiting until 1991 to place your order.  If we do not take a
stand now and make our concerns clear to the NeXT management, they may
be the next to sue.

Some of the responses to my initial plead revealed enormous ignorance
about the issue of interface copyright.  I hope you all will read this
year's November and May issues of the Communications of the ACM.  An
informed and active user community is our only hope for protection
against forces of greed.

John D. Ramsdell

P.S.  To the best of my knowledge, The MITRE Corporation does not have
a policy on interface copyright, so the opinions expressed within do
not represent the official policy of my company.

lhmaddox@cs.utexas.edu (Lawrence H. Maddox Jr.) (10/19/90)

In article <123663@linus.mitre.org> ramsdell@mitre.org writes:
>Enclosed are some corrections to my initial plead, and pointers to
>well thought out papers on the issue of interface copyrights.
>
>Lotus is trying to make it illegal to write software even partially
>compatible in its behavior with existing software.  If you write a
>program that does a similar job, they will sue you.  The threat is
>real; Lotus is currently suing Borland over Quattro not because it
>implements the same interface, but because you can customize the
>interface to emulate Lotus 1-2-3!

This is simply not true.  Lotus is not suing everyone that makes a
product similar to Lotus 1-2-3.  In fact, Lotus is not suing Borland
over Quattro because you can customize the interface to emulate
Lotus 1-2-3, but because Borland has used this capability (the
included emulation of 1-2-3, not the ability to customize) to sell
the product to current 1-2-3 users.  Lotus's previous suit against
PaperBack Software was because their product was marketed as a Lotus
1-2-3 clone.  Quattro Pro, with its included emulation of 1-2-3, is
also being marketed as a Lotus 1-2-3 clone.  The command interface
used by 1-2-3 has been complimented many times (not to say that I
think it is any good) by the press, and can be considered important
to the product.  Allowing other vendors to provide the *exact*
same interface simply allows them to ride the success of Lotus.

However, there have been 1-2-3 look-alikes for much longer than the
recent law suits seem to indicate, and Lotus never seemed to mind
much before.  I believe that this can be related to the new Lotus
product, Improv.  Improv relies *directly* upon the user interface
for its uniqueness and appeal.  If Lotus were to allow other vendors
to copy the user interface of Improv as they have with 1-2-3, it
would severly weaken the advantage of inovation that Improv currently
has.  I think that this has a great deal to do with why Lotus is
trying to make a big legal issue:  they wish to set a precedent with
1-2-3 to protect Improv.

>By distributing promotional copies of Lotus Improv, NeXT Inc. is
>aiding and abiding a company that, in my opinion, engages in
>monopolistic practices.  I urge you to refuse to buy NeXT offerings
>that include a free copy of Lotus Improv.  In practice, this means
>simply waiting until 1991 to place your order.  If we do not take a
>stand now and make our concerns clear to the NeXT management, they may
>be the next to sue.
>Some of the responses to my initial plead revealed enormous ignorance

And what if Improv were to be bundled forever??  Would you advocate
never purchasing a NeXT??

>about the issue of interface copyright.  I hope you all will read this
>year's November and May issues of the Communications of the ACM.  An
>informed and active user community is our only hope for protection
>against forces of greed.

Not to disillusion you, but this industry is to a great deal driven by
greed.  Why else would Borland produce a product containing a certain
feature used explicitly to attract users away from Lotus?

>P.S.  To the best of my knowledge, The MITRE Corporation does not have
>a policy on interface copyright, so the opinions expressed within do
>not represent the official policy of my company.

Ren

 Disclaimer:  nothing I say REALLY means anything anyway....

 primary: ------------------------------------> lhmaddox@cs.utexas.edu
 secondary:      auschs!longhorn.austin.ibm.com!lhmaddox@cs.utexas.edu

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (10/19/90)

In article <970@earth.cs.utexas.edu>, lhmaddox@cs.utexas.edu (Lawrence H. Maddox  Jr.) writes:

>This is simply not true.  Lotus is not suing everyone that makes a
>product similar to Lotus 1-2-3.  In fact, Lotus is not suing Borland
>over Quattro because you can customize the interface to emulate
>Lotus 1-2-3, but because Borland has used this capability (the
>included emulation of 1-2-3, not the ability to customize) to sell
>the product to current 1-2-3 users.  Lotus's previous suit against
>PaperBack Software was because their product was marketed as a Lotus
>1-2-3 clone.  Quattro Pro, with its included emulation of 1-2-3, is
>also being marketed as a Lotus 1-2-3 clone.

You haven't seen either product, I gather. Quattro Pro is being marketed as a
superior alternative to Lotus 1-2-3, and you have to delibertly turn on the
Lotus menus to get "Lotus emulation." Quattro Pro does things which 1-2-3
doesn't.

Paperback Software looked like 1-2-3 out of the box, with most enhancements
"buried" within the code, and various menus.

>However, there have been 1-2-3 look-alikes for much longer than the
>recent law suits seem to indicate, and Lotus never seemed to mind
>much before.  I believe that this can be related to the new Lotus
>product, Improv.  Improv relies *directly* upon the user interface
>for its uniqueness and appeal.  If Lotus were to allow other vendors
>to copy the user interface of Improv as they have with 1-2-3, it
>would severly weaken the advantage of inovation that Improv currently
>has.  I think that this has a great deal to do with why Lotus is
>trying to make a big legal issue:  they wish to set a precedent with
>1-2-3 to protect Improv.

Nope. They wish to discourage a "look-and-feel" of 1-2-3. NeXT-generation
software will have NeXTstep rules for its user interface; before Lotus there
were no user-interface "standards" for the PC world.

>>about the issue of interface copyright.  I hope you all will read this
>>year's November and May issues of the Communications of the ACM.  An
>>informed and active user community is our only hope for protection
>>against forces of greed.
>
>Not to disillusion you, but this industry is to a great deal driven by
>greed.  Why else would Borland produce a product containing a certain
>feature used explicitly to attract users away from Lotus?

Convenience? Since Borland charges LESS for their product than 1-2-3, I hardly
would accuse them of greed. The 1-2-3 emulation mode (maybe we should think of
this as the same way VT-100 emulation mode is in terminal programs...oops,
don't want to give Digital ideas :-) is a "hook" for people who want to
convert.

Since Lotus wants a relative monopoly on spreadsheets, their actions are
motivated to increase profits, and raise the level of "fear, uncertainty,
and doubt" to potential purchasers. Practially speaking, it pisses people off
who would like to be able to choose on the basis of services and prices.
Paperback software was selling their product for under $100 bucks. Lotus 1-2-3
very rarely ventured under the $200 dollar mark. Who's into greed?

denison@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Alan Denison) (10/19/90)

In article <123663@linus.mitre.org> ramsdell@mitre.org writes:
>Enclosed are some corrections to my initial plead, and pointers to
>well thought out papers on the issue of interface copyrights.
>
>Lotus is trying to make it illegal to write software even partially
>compatible in its behavior with existing software.  If you write a
>program that does a similar job, they will sue you.  The threat is
>real; Lotus is currently suing Borland over Quattro not because it
>implements the same interface, but because you can customize the
>interface to emulate Lotus 1-2-3!
>
>By distributing promotional copies of Lotus Improv, NeXT Inc. is
>aiding and abiding a company that, in my opinion, engages in
>monopolistic practices.  I urge you to refuse to buy NeXT offerings
>that include a free copy of Lotus Improv.  In practice, this means
>simply waiting until 1991 to place your order.  If we do not take a
>stand now and make our concerns clear to the NeXT management, they may
>be the next to sue.
>
>Some of the responses to my initial plead revealed enormous ignorance
>about the issue of interface copyright.  I hope you all will read this
>year's November and May issues of the Communications of the ACM.  An
>informed and active user community is our only hope for protection
>against forces of greed.
>
>John D. Ramsdell
>
>P.S.  To the best of my knowledge, The MITRE Corporation does not have
>a policy on interface copyright, so the opinions expressed within do
>not represent the official policy of my company.

You are still wrong about the way that Lotus Improv is being distributed.
It is my understanding that when you receive a NeXTstation or an upgrade
board you will then send in some kind of certificate or coupon to Lotus
and then they will send you a free copy of a fully working version of
Improv as soon as it ships.  Given this information it is likely that one
will not have to send this coup to Lotus.  If you really feel like buying
a NeXT (which is a great idea by the way), you want a spreadsheet, and you
want to boycott Lotus products maybe you should look at Ashton-Tate's
PowerStep.  It is not constructive for you or anyone else to bash NeXT for
a promotion that is completely in another companies hands.

I agree that interface technology should be allowed to be shared instead of
owned by companies.  I do not agree, though, that Lotus intends to do this
with their products for the NeXT.  I have heard (rumor only) that they
plan on making it possible to allow other applications (besides Improv) to
interface with their graphing tool (Presentation Builder) in the future by
releasing some kind of object interface tool.  Also, I've seen programs
adopting interface techniques used by different companies with the NeXT
development society (e.g. Inspector Panels).

I suggest that you let Lotus start anew with their applications on the NeXT.
Maybe we can start boycotting programs on the NeXT when someone starts to
claim that they were the first person to create a 3-D rotating pop-up
heirarchical menu and they are going to sue everyone else who adopted it.
I don't see this happening, though.

Allen Denison, NeXT Campus Consultant for UCLA

p.s. My views do not necessarily represent those of NeXT or UCLA.

p.s.  My views do not re
plan on allowing their

hoford@sequoia.upenn.edu (John Hoford) (10/19/90)

In article <123663@linus.mitre.org> ramsdell@mitre.org writes:
>Enclosed are some corrections to my initial plead, and pointers to
>well thought out papers on the issue of interface copyrights.
>
>Lotus is trying to make it illegal to write software even partially
>compatible in its behavior with existing software.  If you write a
>program that does a similar job, they will sue you.  The threat is
>real; Lotus is currently suing Borland over Quattro not because it
>implements the same interface, but because you can customize the
>interface to emulate Lotus 1-2-3!

Look at this from another side.
A large part of my work is in user interface design,
I consider what I do creative and original.
For years people have been able to patent their designs on
mechanical user interfaces for every thing from hammers to
bikes. Why should people who design hammers with a 15 degree bend
be protected and people who spend years doing research
in user interface have no protection.

The american system protects creativity with copyrights and patents
if you have a problem with this you should not buy patented or copyrighted
products.

John D. Hoford

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (10/20/90)

In <31403@netnews.upenn.edu> hoford@sequoia.upenn.edu (John Hoford) writes:

>In article <123663@linus.mitre.org> ramsdell@mitre.org writes:
>>Lotus is trying to make it illegal to write software even partially
>>compatible in its behavior with existing software.  If you write a
>>program that does a similar job, they will sue you.  The threat is
>>real; Lotus is currently suing Borland over Quattro not because it
>>implements the same interface, but because you can customize the
>>interface to emulate Lotus 1-2-3!

>Look at this from another side.  >A large part of my work is in user
interface design, >I consider what I do creative and original.  >For
years people have been able to patent their designs on >mechanical
user interfaces for every thing from hammers to >bikes. Why should
people who design hammers with a 15 degree bend >be protected and
people who spend years doing research >in user interface have no
protection.

*asbestos suit on*

Yes one might say that.  I started thinking about this the other day.
From what I remember about copyrights/patents from an article I read,
you can get one (a patent) if what you have shows a unique nature that
noone has thought up before, and is not trivial.  And for computers
before the NeXT, I would agree with you on user interfaces, mainly
because you had to design it yourself.  Even the Mac, with it's
standard interface only helps the programmer a little in creating the
interface.  But even with that amount, most Mac programs are
remarkably alike in the interface.  Sure, they all differ, but all the
basic concepts exist there.  And similar products often look a lot
alike.  Heck, sometimes I would go help a user and not now for sure if
they were using MacWrite or Word for a little bit, they are very
similar (although Word is MUCH better).

Now with the NeXT, there is Interface Builder, and it GIVES you the
power to create quite powerful interfaces.  It's "almost" a trivial
matter.  Sure, it isn't exactly simple, but creating the interface is
no longer all that difficult.  With my little experience in IB, I know
I could easily create a host of interfaces that match other products,
even some that I probably don't know about.  The real major work comes
in the programming the thing, and giving it the guts.

>The american system protects creativity with copyrights and patents
>if you have a problem with this you should not buy patented or
copyrighted >products.

I remember reading a quite interesting article about copyrights, and
the software industry.  And how it was hurting the computer industry,
not by protecting creativity, but by stifiling it.  Personally, I
agree.  Apple is a perfect example.  With their sue happy lawyers,
they have eliminated a potentially HUGE Mac clone market.  With
competitors making cheaper Mac's, Apple would be forced to ither make
a better product, sell it cheaper, or loose business.  This kind of
competiveness in my mind makes GREAT products.  Just look at IBM's.
They have so much competition, it's ridiculous.  Speed, price,
and such are MUCH better there, because you HAVE to or you go
bankrupt.

Please, no flames because I don't understand the copyright/patent laws
enough.  I know I don't, I'm just expressing my views of the
situation.

-k

"I want my Cube!"

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (10/20/90)

I respectfully suggest that this conversation on Lotus, copyrights, and
whatever be moved elsewhere.  The suggestion has been made that those
that get a coupon for Improv return it as a political statement.  Beyond
that, I'm sure there is an alt.something.something where this discussion
is more appropriate.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.203242.1532@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) says:

>I respectfully suggest that this conversation on Lotus, copyrights, and
>whatever be moved elsewhere.  The suggestion has been made that those
>that get a coupon for Improv return it as a political statement.  Beyond
>that, I'm sure there is an alt.something.something where this discussion
>is more appropriate.

Here, Here! [Vigorous claps and whistles...]

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct19.203242.1532@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
>madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) says:
>>I respectfully suggest that this conversation on Lotus, copyrights, and
>>whatever be moved elsewhere.

I also agree. And I would like to suggest the creation of a new
newsgroup to be called
		comp.sys.next.tech
which would be a platform for help and technical issues regarding NeXT
computers, leaving comp.sys.next for more "free-wheeling" postings.
What do you think folks, shall do it?

--
	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (10/21/90)

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
>In article <1990Oct19.203242.1532@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
>>madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) says:
>>>I respectfully suggest that this conversation on Lotus, copyrights, and
>>>whatever be moved elsewhere.
>>
>I also agree. And I would like to suggest the creation of a new
>newsgroup to be called
>		  comp.sys.next.tech
>which would be a platform for help and technical issues regarding NeXT
>computers, leaving comp.sys.next for more "free-wheeling" postings.
>What do you think folks, shall do it?

No.  This group is not all that busy.  Splitting it into normal and tech
would simply mean that people would have to read both.  If you really
want to, subscribe to the next-prog mailing list.

If you want to see a _busy_ group, check out comp.sys.amiga.  Then, if
you want to see a tech group in action, check out comp.sys.amiga.tech.
I don't think that it was worth it, because if you really are interested,
you need to read both groups, because people generally just post to the
one they read most often (w/o regards to content).

Actually, I think a better idea would be to create comp.sys.next.mac
and comp.sys.next.sun, and comp.sys.next.cheap.software, and
comp.sys.next.sports (for general bashing).

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
NeXT Campus Consultant		(Not much, really)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (10/21/90)

/ comp.sys.next / denison@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Alan Denison) / Oct 19, 1990 /
> I suggest that you let Lotus start anew with their applications on the NeXT.
> Maybe we can start boycotting programs on the NeXT when someone starts to
> claim that they were the first person to create a 3-D rotating pop-up
> heirarchical menu and they are going to sue everyone else who adopted it.
> I don't see this happening, though.

1.  One doesn't boycott a product, one boycotts a company.

2.  The company may not even have a product for the NeXT.  For example,
Xerox and Apple are making claims that threaten NeXTstep (and any other
window system), even though NeXT is not a target for neither their lawsuits
nor their products at this time.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		jacob@gore.com			boulder!gore!jacob

tmab+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Mok) (10/22/90)

Now, let me get this straight.

Lotus is giving out their Improv to NeXT purchases and upgrades
made before the end of the year.  You want to boycott Lotus, and
ask people not to buy NeXT until next year.  Does that hurt NeXT
more than it hurts Lotus?  Moreover, even if everyone turns down
the offer, what will Lotus lose?  They just didn't give out as many
free copies as they should!

Quite frankly, I don't think boycotting is a solution.  The root of
software patents and copyrights is in the law itself.  To solve this
problem, you should get people to plea to their congressmen
to rule out software patents altogether.  There is an article on
software patents in this month's issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal.
It should supplement what you've read in the CACM.

Lastly, so what if Lotus goes out of business?  So what if Apple
goes out of business?  Will the problem be solved?

-  Tom Mok

ramsdell@mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) (10/22/90)

In article <31403@netnews.upenn.edu> hoford@sequoia.upenn.edu (John Hoford) writes:

   Look at this from another side.
   A large part of my work is in user interface design,
   I consider what I do creative and original.
   For years people have been able to patent their designs on
   mechanical user interfaces for every thing from hammers to
   bikes. Why should people who design hammers with a 15 degree bend
   be protected and people who spend years doing research
   in user interface have no protection.

   The american system protects creativity with copyrights and patents
   if you have a problem with this you should not buy patented or copyrighted
   products.

   John D. Hoford

John D. Hoford makes a thoughtful point that deserves an answer.

Copyrights and patents are legal monopolies granted by the government.
The constitution allows the government to grant these monopolies to
promote the progress of science and the useful arts.  In other words,
the monopolies must serve the interests of the public.  To argue for
interface copyrights, one must show that the protection of interfaces
promotes the interests of the public.  Let me state the obvious fact
that the public interests may be different from the interests of
interface developers.

While developers spend a substantial amount of resources developing an
interface, if the interface is successful, that effort is dwarfed by
the amount of resources invested by users of the interface.  Just as
drivers of cars want nearly the same set of controls from every car
maker, users of computer spread sheets want nearly the same interface.
By allowing computer interfaces to be copyrighted, you force all users
to learn a different interface for products that do nearly the same
thing.  How can forcing incompatiable interfaces on computer users be
construed as promoting the progress of science and the useful arts?

John

ramsdell@mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) (10/22/90)

There seems to be people who believe both that copyrights on
interfaces are wrong, and that it is inappropriate to punish NeXT Inc.
for promoting companies that believe copyrights on interfaces are
okay.  Before I got around to responding to this idea, I received a
message that addresses the issue from Richard M. Stallman, the
president of the League for Programming Freedom.  I sent him a copy of
one of my messages and here is his reply:

NeXT is offering users "free" copies of Lotus Improv if they order
upgrades before December 31.

Lotus is, of course, the company that has established a monopoly on
the spreadsheet commands most users know.  Now any independent
spreadsheet is required to have new commands that nobody knows (and
that hardly anyone will want to learn, no matter how good they might
be).  The result is in effect a near-monopoly on spreadsheets for
Lotus.  And, beyond that, the loss of our freedom to write the
programs the users want.

These "free" copies are actually very expensive.  Using a Lotus
product promotes Lotus, which aids them in denying your freedom.  Even
if you don't pay for these copies, using their product will encourage
other people to buy it.

It is vitally important to discourage NeXT and other companies from
aiding Lotus in this way.

The best way to do this is to refrain from ordering an upgrade until
after December 31.  And send a letter or message to NeXT, saying why.
Explain that you are offended by the offer.  By waiting till next
year, you arrange not to be offered a copy of Improv.

If you order an upgrade now, and simply refrain from asking for a copy
of Improv, this will not express your displeasure.  This would do no
harm, but also would do no good.  Lotus has already established a
monopoly; now it is up to us to regain the freedom to write programs.
Neutral actions won't accomplish this.

By delaying your upgrade, you will disappoint NeXT's hope that this
promotion would encourage rapid upgrading.  If they have paid money to
Lotus for this, they will see it was wasted.  Both of these things
will help to prevent this promotion from being the start of a trend.

If you belong to a NeXT users' group, then please print copies of this
message to distribute on paper at the next meeting.  We need to spread
the word to people who don't read netnews.  If people are unfamiliar
with the issue of look and feel copyright, then show them copies of
the League for Programming Freedom position paper to inform them.  You
can request this position paper by email to league@prep.ai.mit.edu;
ask for "Against User Interface Copyright".

jmann@angmar.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (10/25/90)

In article <RAMSDELL.90Oct22092930@huxley.mitre.org>, ramsdell@mitre.org
(John D. Ramsdell) writes:
|>By delaying your upgrade, you will disappoint NeXT's hope that this
|>promotion would encourage rapid upgrading.  If they have paid money to
|>Lotus for this, they will see it was wasted.  Both of these things
|>will help to prevent this promotion from being the start of a trend.

And you will also, if you drive out Lotus, disapoint NeXT's hope of finally
really making it in the business world. Improv may be the product for NeXT that
1-2-3 was for the PC -- the product that made the machine acceptable to all
sorts of businesses.  The next couple of years are going to be very important
for NeXT. They will decide whether NeXT becomes the machine of the 1990s or
the Amiga of the 1990s. (No insult to the Amiga intended here. The Amiga is
a great machine that is not widely accepted in the business world, and has
lots of users scratching their heads, wondering why more people don't buy
it.)  A Lotus product -- more importantly, a great Lotus product, which
Improv seems to be -- may make the difference.

Yes, I disagree with Lotus on this one. I disagree with Apple in their suite
against Microsoft. That doesn't stop me from using Macs.  The solution is NOT
to scream at Lotus or Microsoft, both of whom are doing what the law allows:
trying to protect their interface. It would be stupid of them, given the
current
laws,  not to.  Instead of protesting against Lotus, write to your Congressman,
telling him/her to change the laws.

Jim Mann
Stratus Computer
jmann@es.stratus.com

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (10/25/90)

I guess the most important idea of patents got lost nowadays.
Originally patents were invented such that specific procedures to produce
something did not get lost as earlier in history because the inventor dies
and took his secret with him into the grave. It was supposed that the inventor
had to disclose the content and the procedure such that any other person in
the same field could reproduce the results exactly. (That's also where the
name patent comes from, the latin patere which means be open).
So in exchange for a contribution to human knowledge, the inventor had the
exclusive right to use it for a limited amount of time. This way he could get
back his research costs, and make the profit he needed to live and reward him
for the risk he took.
Patents also don't stop research. If you build on top of a patent and improve
it significantly, you can get a patent on the improvement, and the original
inventor may not use your invention although you built on top of his. Usually
this is resolved with a cross-licensing agreement. This is a fair way to make
sure there will not be a technology monopoly if there are other inventors around.
Then there was the copyright that protected artists from people that wanted
to make a quick profit from work another did. But in a piece of art through
the publication, it is also become a piece of human knowledge. (Well except
it it is too abstract, but that's something else). Because it is creative
work there is noone dependent on it, protection of artwork does not restrict
someone else to be creative. Thus the protection holds for a much longer time
than for patents.
And finally we have the computer industry that comes along, sees both and
wants to pick the best out of both:
- long protection
- no publication
- no contribution to human knowledge
- hefty profits

I think it is just not fair to give programs copyright protection. It would be
more appropriate to give them patents. Just look at all the tool the big
software companies have in house. Will we ever see them? No. Can we ever
learn from them? No. Can we ever extend them and improve them? No.
Basically what happens is that the software companies get all the protection
and more than from a patent with no contribution to the community as a whole.
That's what I think is disgusting, not the fact that intellectual property
is protected.

-- Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/26/90)

[Letter from Richard Stallman saying `boycott Lotus' deleted]

I really don't think Lotus is the problem---they are just a symptom.
The problem lies in the interpretation of exisitng laws.

I can't really blame Lotus for using the existing laws to protect their
interests---they weren't protecting _user's_ interests, but no one ever said
they were philanthropists.

When a legal case produces a decision that is ``not right'', that should
trigger changes in the law, not persecution of the defendant. After all,
it wasn't Lotus that _made the ruling_---they just asked the question.

So, instead of ``boycott NeXT'' or ``boycott Lotus'' (two companies
currently doing the _most_ innovative product development in their areas),
I would suggest joining with the League For Programming Freedom in
lobbying for more appropriate laws.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (10/31/90)

In article <54357@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

> And finally we have the computer industry that comes along, sees both and
> wants to pick the best out of both:
> - long protection
> - no publication
> - no contribution to human knowledge
> - hefty profits

This article is the first intelligent posting I have seen on this subject.
In contrast to Richard Stallman's usual profits-are-evil-and-oh-by-the-way-
I-charge-$200-an-hour postings, Ronald has provided us with a cogent and
concise analysis of why copyright is socially inappropriate for computer
software, and a suggestion of the direction future legislation ought to
be taking.  Nice posting, Ronald!
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff

ramsdell@mitre.org (John D. Ramsdell) (11/08/90)

The complete reference to the article explaining the dangers of
interface copyright is "Against User Interface Copyright" by Richard
Stallman and Simson Garfinkel, Communications of the ACM, November
1990, Vol. 33, No. 11, pp. 15-18.

In article <EbBT9aO00ioEA1dkYU@andrew.cmu.edu> kh2v+@andrew.cmu.edu (Keith Hawkins) writes:

   Can someone explain what all the fury is concerning Lotus Improv and the
   040 upgrades to someone who has just got on the NeXT bandwagon.

   i.e. What sin has NeXT and/or Lotus committed?

   Just wondering.

Lotus is one of the companies that is using the courts to expand the
domain of copyright law into the area of user interfaces.  NeXT
Computer, Inc. has been promoting Lotus software in their resent sales
campaign.  For example, the literature NeXT sent to me states:

	For a limited time, customers who upgrade their
	system with a 68040 processor board will receive
	a free copy of Lotus Improv.

I hope you will join me and wait until after the offer expires before
ordering upgrades from NeXT.  Even if you do not join me, please take
the time to write to the following subcommitties about your fears
relating to interface copyright:

    House Subcommittee on Intellectual Property
    2137 Rayburn Bldg
    Washington, DC 20515

    Senate Subcommittee on Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20510

John

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (11/08/90)

>ordering upgrades from NeXT.  Even if you do not join me, please take
>the time to write to the following subcommitties about your fears
>relating to interface copyright:

Yes. While you're at it, ask them to cut down on defense contractors,
including Mitre.

Give this subject a rest please.

- g