[comp.sys.next] Your school doesn't have a contract, you say?

mmh@tulmath.math.tulane.edu (Matt Hopkins) (11/07/90)

In case anyone happens to be in the same position as myself:

I found out (via a phone call to the 1-800 number) that TeleBusiness
is going to try and initiate some sort of policy for granting
educational discounts to school-type-folk who's school does NOT have a
contract.  This is supposed to happen some time at the beginning of
next year.  The gentleman (who, by the way, was quite helpful) I
talked to did not have any numbers on hand, nor an actual date.  But
it was a "goal of the company".

Boo Hoo,

Matt

 Matt Hopkins            \\  "Six double five three two one" - Clockwork Orange
 Tulane University        \\  "Do you hate people?" "No ... but I seem to feel
 Department of Mathematics \\  better when they're not around." - Barfly
 New Orleans, Lousiania     \\         mmh@tulmath.math.tulane.edu
	    Whaddya mean, it has "semi-infinite" measure?!

In article <4846@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mmh@tulmath.math.tulane.edu
	(Matt Hopkins) writes:
>I found out (via a phone call to the 1-800 number) that TeleBusiness
>is going to try and initiate some sort of policy for granting
>educational discounts to school-type-folk who's school does NOT have a
>contract.

When I spoke with our bookstore manager, he said our campus had
been designated a "hub"--i.e., able to sell at educational prices
to other schools, but the details hadn't been finalized.  Does
this sound familiar to anyone?
					-=EPS=-

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (11/07/90)

In article <1005@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>When I spoke with our bookstore manager, he said our campus had
>been designated a "hub"--i.e., able to sell at educational prices
>to other schools, but the details hadn't been finalized.  Does
>this sound familiar to anyone?
>					-=EPS=-

The Ohio State Computer Store is a NeXT hub for Ohio.  Any fac/staff/student
in Ohio is supposed to be able to buy NeXT stuff from them.  The only case
I know of where this has been used is 2 weeks ago a prof from the University
of Cinncinatti purchased a cube.

Tyler

andy@coma.cs.tu-berlin.de (Andreas Lampen) (11/07/90)

In article <1005@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>When I spoke with our bookstore manager, he said our campus had
>been designated a "hub"--i.e., able to sell at educational prices
>to other schools, but the details hadn't been finalized.

Might this apply to European students too ?

Does anyone know where a European student can purchase NeXT
machines at educational prices ?
The German NeXT distributor claims, that there are no educational
discounts available in Germany :-( .

	Andy

----
  Andreas Lampen, Tech. Univ. Berlin
      andy@coma.cs.tu-berlin.de

--
----

riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) (11/08/90)

In article <1005@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) says:
>When I spoke with our bookstore manager, he said our campus had
>been designated a "hub"--i.e., able to sell at educational prices
>to other schools, but the details hadn't been finalized.  Does
>this sound familiar to anyone?
>                                        -=EPS=-

Michigan State University is in the process of becoming a "hub school".
The concept has been around for a while, but when we first started
talking with NeXT about it about half a year ago, there were
very few schools in the hub school program.  I think that Ohio State
was one of the first, but I could have that wrong.
"Hub" schools provide support to smaller institutions that couldn't
be provided by those small institutions, and couldn't be provided by
NeXT's currently rather small and few field offices.  Being able
to sell at educational prices is just one part of the "hub" concept.
The intended client institutions are those who are unwilling or
unable to sign the usual contract with NeXT, which requires certain
commitments in terms of staffing, training, support, and so on.

Mark Riordan  Mich State Univ.   riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

galanter@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Philip Galanter) (11/08/90)

In article <1005@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>When I spoke with our bookstore manager, he said our campus had
>been designated a "hub"--i.e., able to sell at educational prices
>to other schools, but the details hadn't been finalized.  Does
>this sound familiar to anyone?
>					-=EPS=-

In the Chicago area Northwestern University is a hub school.  Its very easy
for other schools in the area to arrange to buy and repair NeXTs through
Northwestern.  Right now DePaul and Loyola are spokes, and Northwestern
sponsors the Chicago NeXT Users Group (ChiNUG).  If you are interested in
either of these please contact Bill Parod of my group at parod@acns.nwu.edu.

Phil

Academic Computing & Network Services ~ AppleLink: A42 ~ ~ 627 Dartmouth Place
~ ~Advanced Technology Group Manager ~ galanter@nwu.edu ~ ~ Evanston, IL 60208
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Northwestern University ~ ~CompuServe: 76474,154 ~ fax: 708-491-4548
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Philip Galanter~ ~ ~ NeXT>gambuh.acns.nwu.edu ~ ph: 708-491-4050

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.172831.16256@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) writes:
>Michigan State University is in the process of becoming a "hub school".

>"Hub" schools provide support to smaller institutions that couldn't

>Mark Riordan  Mich State Univ.   riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

I hate to say it but they almost had to support a not so small institution:
The University of Michigan.
Up until a few months ago, Michigan had refused to support NeXT. It was sad
because we have some of the best facilities in the world.  Apollo's all over
the Engineering campus and massive Macintosh labs all over campus, as well as
DEC's, Sun's, and others.  They felt they had the NeXT niche covered by other
equipment and didn't even want to sell the computers to the students which
really pissed me off!  I here they came around though and for that I am happy.

Eric Bennett

PS It has been said that UofM has one of the biggest Appletalk networks in the
world.  Yes, I know this is comp.sys.next.

EHYOUNK@MTUS5.BITNET (11/09/90)

Yes, Michigan State University is acting as a hub for schools in Michigan.
My roomate just ordered a cube through thier bookstore.

Ed Younk
Computer Eng. Student
Michigan Tech University