[comp.sys.next] Wretched Flame Wars

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (11/09/90)

In article <10397@ubc-cs.UUCP>, burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:

> Your a jerk.
>
> A complete, utter, and total jerk.
>
> I've met Robert Lin in passing, and I think he's a very nice
> guy.  If I needed iwscript, I would sooner pay $25 for Robert's
> code than use code written by an arrogant pig (that's YOU).
>
> Regardless of the quality of anyone's software, no one deserves
> to be ridiculed over the net for writing shareware, especially a
> very useful piece of shareware that was the first of it's kind.
>
> And by the way, haven't you heard of capitalism?  It's the reason
> why you're able to pound out senseless drivel on a very expensive
> piece of technology and it is the reason why Robert Lin is able to
> charge whatever the traffic will bear for is software.  (Which, after
> all, is not that expensive.)

Let's not start a flame war on here.  Comp.sys.next usually gets
quality posts, and this is the quickest way to see that quality
disappear overnight.

I know Robert quite well, and he's decidedly NOT the Wicked Evil
Programmer Who Wants To Make Money From Wretched Software - not the
person that Eric would make him seem.  He's a great guy who likes
NeXTs and writes software for them - for a living.

The NeXT community needs more people like him - and like Eric - to
write shareware and public domain utilities that will make the NeXT
platform a pleasure to use.

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu