[comp.sys.next] 40MB drive info wanted

scollins@uswat.uswest.com (Steven Collins) (11/09/90)

 Is the 40MB drive a free upgrade to current Cube owners?
 Why and when was this done? (speed?)
 If I buy a cube now, would I be eligible?
 Thanks for the info!

 -Steve

 scollins@lookout.uswest.com

cbradley@blackbox.lonestar.org (Chris Bradley) (11/09/90)

In article <12709@uswat.UUCP> scollins@uswat.uswest.com (Steven Collins) writes:

> Is the 40MB drive a free upgrade to current Cube owners?
> Why and when was this done? (speed?)
> If I buy a cube now, would I be eligible?

The program has expired, as far as I can tell.  This upgrade program was
designed to boost system performance for users of Optical-Disk-only systems
and (diskless) Networker systems, by providing a local, 40MB SCSI swapdisk
free of charge.

According to my notes, customers received notice of this program from NeXT
in January 1990, and the program ended on April 15, 1990; however, there
were a (very) few upgrades performed after that date for people who made
a convincing case.

The drives that were installed in our Networkers were Quantum 40S's:
    Average Seek Time - 19 ms
    Transfer rate     - 4.0 MB/sec synchronous, 2.0 mb/sec asynchronous
    Look-ahead cache  - 64 kb
    Interleave        - 1:1
    Error correction  - 48-bit computer generated cyclic ECC, automatic
		    retry on read errors
    Power comsumption - 8 watts (27.3 BTU/hr) idle, 9 watts (30.7 BTU/hr)
		    typical operation
    SCSI specifications - ANSI standard SCSI host interface, CCS, Rev 4B
		      Fully-integrated SCSI controller
		      SCSI terminated on-board with removable terminator
		      packs
		      SCSI ID factory configured to 6

--
Chris Bradley			| "I confess freely to you, I could never look
Businessland Advanced Systems	| long upon a monkey, without very mortifying